How to deal with siblings that fight all the time (ages 3 years and 6 years next month)

I can't take it anymore today. Plus I am pregnant. But litterly I cannot take it anymore either the 3 year old is tormenting the older one or the older one is doing it to the younger one. I can't take it. They do this every single day they fight as soon as they wake up until they go to bed or they fight the minute my oldest gets home from school. It isn't for my attention I think they just like tormenting eachother to be honest. A littlw ehile agomy oldest was trying to take my youngest dd's pen because she wasn't making an M (she doesn't know how). They fight because one has the others favorite toy or crayons or whatever and I litterly cannot take it today. How do you deal with 2 kids that fight all the time?

mommy5409

Asked by mommy5409 at 5:11 PM on Mar. 7, 2011 in General Parenting

• i think this is pretty normal...but when my kids are worse than usual they get to clean the house : )
    i always tell the kids that one day they will really need each other, and they should learn to be friends now.
    the older ones get the...you are the older brother/ sister...you need to show them how to behave better.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 5:27 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• I feel your pain, I really do :( It sounds EXACTLY like my 2 "step"daughters (who are 3 yrs apart) when they were that age. I have 3 young "step" kids (now ages 10, 9, and 7 - two girls and a boy) and they fight CONSTANTLY! If they're not fighting, they feel that something's wrong, so they deliberately LOOK for things to fight over - ARGH!!! And it doesn't help that their mother picks fights herself (with her own friends, neighbours, my husband, you name it she'll cause drama over it!). Anyway...What my husband and I usually TRY to do is reason with them (which is NOT easy). At their home, their mother plays favourites, therefore, that's where the fights come in. At OUR home, we always treat everyone equal, so they ALL get the same consequences if they act out. If all else fails, we start taking things away and start cancelling outdoor activities (and we do NOT back down which is important). It usually works. Good luck!
    lac925

Answer by lac925 at 5:38 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• I seperate mine when they get really bad-
    one in one room and one somewhere ELSE.

*mine are 17 and 14 now and STILL fight all the time
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 5:45 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Give them something they can do together! I have two daughters (5 and 7) and they used to fight all the time. Hubby and I got them a playstation with 2 move controllers and they sure a heck don't fight when they're playing together! It's them against the game usually, so it's not one versus the other, which caused most of the fights with games in our household.
    GreenyJaz

Answer by GreenyJaz at 5:48 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• When you find the answer, let me know, too......lol
    cfh72

Answer by cfh72 at 10:29 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Mine get extra chores when they are constantly fighting and won't be nice to each other. If that doesn't work, we start taking away privileges.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 10:28 AM on Mar. 8, 2011