Public Assistance

OK, I have a 1 1/2 year old who receives health insurance from the government. My husband and I don't have any health insurance, and he has life insurance. I am not ashamed that I have my son on Assisted health insurance. I am a SAHM, and am unable to find work that would be able to pay for health insurance for us, and my husband in ineligible for it through work. We receive no other assistance at all.

Do you look at government assisted health insurance the same way that you look at food stamps?

MamaRae85

Asked by MamaRae85 at 5:22 PM on Mar. 7, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• For children, No. I wouldn't deny a child the right to health care or food.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 5:26 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• No sorry health choice requires you to make only a couple of hundreds a month. I had assurant for me and my daughter it was 120 a month. It may be cheaper for you I was a little over weight.
    momofdiva1

Answer by momofdiva1 at 5:26 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• My girls on on medicaid. We dotn have health insurance anymore (cant afford it). We make too much to get an other kind of help. Kids shouldn't go w/out health care. If someone has a problem with it, I dont care! Health insurance is expensive. If we put them on his insurance along with him (just excluding me) it would take about half his check a month then we WOULD need food stamps just to eat! My kids are rarely sick anyway. They see dr. once a yr tops...sometimes not even that. I take them to the health dept. for shots.
    Anonymous

• No I dont. I think all children should have medical coverage. I also dont look down on food stamps, because again I think all children deserve food.

Answer by gemgem at 5:27 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• personally i dont. my husband is disabled through the military so he has insureance through the va but we dont qualify for health benefit through it because he is not total and permanant. (at least not yet, he is 100% schedule and we are looking into getting total) but when i was working the insurance was so high i couldnt even afford it through work. by the time they took out taxes and everything i wouldnt have much of a paycheck. so my kids do have state health insurance. we dont have any other assistance other than health. and if we didnt have that then i wouldnt be able to get my kids their check ups.
    health insurance through work and privatly is very expensive. and in our state luckly it doesnt matter what money you make you can still get health care for your kids.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 5:29 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• i don't see anything wrong in receiving medicaid. Many people are without insurance and have lost their jobs even. Health insurance isn't exactly cheap.
    chilligirl

Answer by chilligirl at 5:36 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• nothing wrong with medicaid, IMO. my husband works 50 hours a week and only manages to bring home $1700/month. we have 3 children, and all are on medicaid. we receive no other government assistance.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 5:40 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• All kids should have health insurance.  It shouldn't be looked down upon if you have health ins through the state or govt.  Don't ever think you have to explain yourself!  It's no one's business why.  And if someone wants to make it their business, that's pretty sad and they should find something better to do with their life.  Same with foodstamps.  No one's business how someone else feeds their kid, as long as they feed them.

It would be nice if all adults could have health ins as well. 

CookieMom108

Answer by CookieMom108 at 6:35 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Health insurance costs are ridiculous. I think it's great that Medicaid is available for them. My BFF's two boys have it, but she doesn't qualify. Hubby had great insurance at work until he was disabled. Now he has Medicare but doesn't qualify for Medicaid because he makes too much money (disability) for a SINGLE person. I don't have any kind of health insurance at all.

If you can get Medicaid, go for it. Kids need check ups, dental visits, shots, physicals ... all sorts of things.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 6:36 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• in all honesty neither bothers me. there's guidelines and regulations in place. if you make little or nothing, you qualify. I'd like to hope every county worker does a good job. We made a "decent income" but qualify for - wait for it - $13 a month in food stamps. And guess what? I use every penny of it.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 7:49 PM on Mar. 7, 2011