When is it ok to introduce a person to your children?

I have a 17 month old little girl and I have been seeing this person for a few months. We are not "official" but only due to the fact that I want to see how he interacts with my daughter before I make that move. I feel that I am ready to introduce them. I know people say you should wait a year or so etc., but if you are a single parent who just can't be pawning there child off (and don't want to) how else do you go about it. I want to include my daughter.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:48 PM on Mar. 7, 2011 in Relationships

• I usually waited 6 months and only if the relationship seemed serious. At 17 mths it probably isnt going to hurt anything to maybe meet at a park for a picnic.

Answer by gemgem at 5:50 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• I think thats up to you..whenever you think it's the right time.
    Ambie0526

Answer by Ambie0526 at 5:51 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• When do you see him? If he has never seen or been around your DD?
    She is so young that if your relationship did not work out. She would not remember him.

Answer by louise2 at 5:59 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Introducing them is a wonderful idea! Its just how much you have them around eachother that makes the difference :) Meeting him a few times probably wont sick with her like it would if he was around for a month straight and then all of a sudden just gone. Good luck

lil_momma_vdv

Answer by lil_momma_vdv at 6:03 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• if u like him enough you should do it. but THE BEST WAY, is to make the first introduction all about ur kid. let ur SO play and interact with her, so she'll wanna see him more often too. thats a great way to test him too! yay
    fefe87

Answer by fefe87 at 6:16 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• if you feel like the relationship is serious I see no harm, if you're not sure, wait. If she's that little, she probably won't remember if things don't work out. I agree with gemgem(1st answer). Dh introduced me to his dd on our 2nd date, now we're married, she lives with us, and calls me mom, it's up to you. Whatever you feel is right.
    tirelessefforts

Answer by tirelessefforts at 6:26 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• I had a general rule of 6 months and even then only if it was serious. Then, I met my SO and introduced him to my kids 3 weeks after we started dating, which was about 7 weeks after we first met. It just seemed like a good idea, and given how serious the relationship became, I don't regret it.

He and my kids are really attached to each other now, so it would devastate everyone if our relationship ended, but I think that would have been the case even if we had waited 6 months. The only real way to avoid that would have been to simply never have them meet, and that obviously doesn't work.

You have to go with what you feel is right. If you're not comfortable having them meet, then don't. If he's pressuring you to meet her, don't give in. If you're doing it just because you *think* you should, don't. Do it because you want to and you feel like it's a good thing.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 7:11 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• I introduced my boyfriend to my son at 6 months into our relationship. We decided to be exclusive and my son had no idea I was seeing anyone (he's only 5 but I never brought it around him at all) until I asked him if he wanted to meet my friend.
    rio_burb

Answer by rio_burb at 10:16 PM on Mar. 7, 2011