WWYD Godparents Q...

My brother and his wife chose my DH and me to be their first baby's godparents. I am expecting in a few months and have a few best friends. I want to make my brother and his wife (who is Jewish) godparents because they're very sweet and would love my child like their own, but I have a few best friends who are not so stable. Plus, can you make a non-Christian woman godmother? We're catholics.

Would my friends understand my decision?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:59 PM on Mar. 7, 2011 in Relationships

• IIRC, one Godparent has to be Catholic for it to be recognized by the Church.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 6:03 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• oh, ok...My brothe is of course. Thanks.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:18 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• In my church in FL I was told that at least one of the godparents has to be catholic. If you already have in mind that you want your brother and is wife to be godparens with good reasoning why do you need to reconsider and second guess yourself with unstable people like you said.

Your answer was in your question my dear.
    KayGia0704

Answer by KayGia0704 at 6:22 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• The Catholic church will allow you to have a proxy stand in for a Godparent of a different faith.  I know this.  So have the SIL as the Godmother but have someone Catholic stand in for her. 

Your friends really don't even have to know about our decision, unless you have told them previously that you wanted them as Godparents.  Know what I mean?  Will they question you, go so far as to ask why you did not pick them?  I wouldn't think so, but I'm just sayin'  Why should it even come up, to the point that you need to explain?  And if that's the case, they should understand your feelings, you can just say you prefer to have family members if you need to. 

CookieMom108

Answer by CookieMom108 at 6:22 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• I think your friends will understand because most of the time it is relatives who are asked. Give your local church a call and ask about the godmother. From what I have seen over the years she can be the godmother, but it only takes a call to ask. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:48 PM on Mar. 7, 2011