How important are child birth classes?

I don't feel like going to them :( I don't like being in groups. I have really bad social anxiety. I went to them during my first pregnancy, but it was a long time ago. I feel gulity if I don't go, but I just really don't want to.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:10 PM on Mar. 7, 2011 in General Parenting

• I never went to them, and I've done fine in labor. According to my Mom I "never broke a sweat". So IMO I don't see the point of them. They might be helpful to some women, but I didn't feel comfortable and I didn't want to go. I do think that having a good partner or coach is vital, but as long as your support system is good and can help guide you, then you'll be fine.

GL
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 6:12 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• I never went.. i had 3 kids just fine without the classes...

think you would be okay!
    3HappylKidds

Answer by 3HappylKidds at 6:11 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• if its not ur first u should totally ditch. lol. but really? you know everything now, right?
    fefe87

Answer by fefe87 at 6:11 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• I never went to any of them. I had my kids just fine.

Answer by louise2 at 6:11 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• I took them. Im a first time mommy and they really helped me you get alot of questions answered and understand what going on during birth and after the hospital.. but its def. up to you
    kylansmommy09

Answer by kylansmommy09 at 6:12 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• There is no point in going if you are going to have an epidural. I went to the classes and hated it had the epidural and the class meant nothing. Have your baby and be happy. :)

jen2774161

Answer by jen2774161 at 6:13 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Google them. Maybe they have them on Youtube so you don' t have to go out. They do make birth easier simply bc it helps you know what's going to happen. If you have a good nurse and doctor team you will be fine.

Answer by admckenzie at 6:21 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• You can just get a book and go through stuff on your own. Even if you're having an epidural, you will need to be able to manage your pain until you get the epidural, and be able to handle it if the epidural doesn't take ALL the pain away (which is often the case). It's nice to feel like you're not alone in your concerns or your "stupid" questions, but if it will cause more anxiety, it may be best to do it on your own.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 6:23 PM on Mar. 7, 2011