How do I get rid of the direhea that my 5mth old has?

my 5 mth old daughter has had direhea and vommiting for the past week now. we took her to the er on monday and they gave her pedialyte that night and told us to just keep feeding her that. I know for a fact babies cant surrive off of just pedialyte but everytime she drinks her formula she ends up having really bad direhea. Im so depressed and I think its hurting me more to see her in such pain and know that I cant do anything more to help her. Everyone keeps telling me that her system will work it out but she is too young and doesn't have a strong enough immune system to fight this on her own. Please if anyone knows of how to get rid of this "stomach flu" she has I would really appreciate your advice. I dont want to see this get worse :(

alyssamommy08

Asked by alyssamommy08 at 12:59 AM on Nov. 22, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If she has a virus then the sad thing is that there is nothing else you can do. Viruses have to run their course because they don't respond to antibiotics. Pedialyte just keeps your little one from getting dehydrated from the vomiting and diarrhea. However, you were right... they can't live on pedialyte alone. My doctor says to give my DD about 2 ounces of pedialyte after every feeding. You should also talk to your family practitioner and ask if there is anything they can do. I know first hand how hard it is to feel like you're not doing anything to help their pain, but sometimes thats just a part of mommyhood!!! GOOD LUCK!!
    EMTcassie

Answer by EMTcassie at 3:56 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• HMMM. True, stomach flu can be aggressive and sometimes long lasting. But I too would worry about no formula as it contains essential nutrients that are vital for proper development and she needs the calories. I am posting you a link to the Lucille Packard Children's Hospital.  Killer good resource! The link goes directly to 'diarrhea" and I strongly urge you to read it thoroughly.  There's a section about formula fed infants under 1 year old when you scroll down. This, along with other topics can be found under their Health Library tab, "Is your child ill or injured?" As for ER docs - my pediatrician told me that she hates to see young children go there as she feels the care and guidance tends to be inadequate and sometimes altogether inaccurate.   

pullinkytink

Answer by pullinkytink at 5:40 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• Darn it - I forgot to put the link in my previous post. SORRY!

http://www.lpch.org/healthLibrary/ParentCareTopics/AbdomenGISymptoms/Diarrhea.html
    pullinkytink

Answer by pullinkytink at 5:41 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• Thank you for your advice and we are just keeping our spirits high and taking it step by step. we did try to switch to a lactosse free formula for right now since its not milk based and it seems to be settling better than the regular formula so we'll see. Once again thank you for your advice :)
    alyssamommy08

Answer by alyssamommy08 at 12:18 AM on Nov. 24, 2008