Getting my 3 yr old a puppy....

Im thinking of getting my 3 yr old a puppy. We are picking him up on Saturday and cant think of any names.

He is a small teacup yorkie.

any suggestions

KayGia0704

Asked by KayGia0704 at 6:16 PM on Mar. 7, 2011 in Pets

• I so agree with JZ10FPM. That poor puppy couldn't take a 3 yr old. I don't agree that your child is too young though. My children and grandchildren and myself where all raised with animals from birth. The right breed is the key. You could get a yorkie when she/he is older. (we all know it's for you. lol) A pug is a little tuffer than a yorkie if you only want a small dog. Boston terriers, beagles like JZ said. Cocker spaniels are perfect for family pets. They are much tougher and love children, people and other animals. I should know I have had them for years and never had a problem. Not even the ear and hip problems you hear about. I wouldn't recommend a large breed because it may hurt your three yr old in play. I am so happy for you getting a dog. I love yorkies but when you get it may it should be yours and you can keep it in your room or somewhere safe until it is older. get another puppy for you little one. good luvk
    Dianakk

Answer by Dianakk at 12:15 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Just for the record there is not such thing as a teacup yorkie. It is just two runts that have been bred together. They generally are not the healthiest dogs and come from puppy mills and back yard breeders. Good luck.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 7:14 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Thank you Kylie's mom.

Your three year old needs a dog like she needs a hole in the head. Do some research, visit some shelters, and wait until she is older and able to take care of it. Also, why on earth would you get a dog that she can't even see?

Your TCUP yorkie is going to have a host of problems. I hope you have the funds to look after the puppy.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 9:25 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• How about Max!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 7:05 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Beware the small breed dog...usually NOT good with small children.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:19 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• LOL you know it is really your dog :) I like the name Biscuit.

jen2774161

Answer by jen2774161 at 6:19 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• lol name it like a big dog name like brutus lol
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 6:40 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Wait till u see it then pick out the name.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 7:00 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Acid I swear sometimes I really love your responses. I have to agree. I wouldn't buy my 3 year old a dog. Really bad idea because you are so afraid. The dog is going to sense that.
    furbabymum

Answer by furbabymum at 10:49 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• 3 year olds and teacup anythings are a bad combination. Kids that young are not known for being gentle and tiny dogs are fragile, not to mention tend to have a bad attitude.

I would recommend going for a hardier breed than a teacup yorkie ... you could go for a small beagle, most I've met are great with kids and below 25 pounds.
    JZ10FPM

Answer by JZ10FPM at 11:05 PM on Mar. 8, 2011