Little League Sign Ups $80

Ahhh my son is 5.. he LOVES baseball... he played last year, we bought gloves, balls, an bats for him an a case for it all. we moved to a new area/state and sign ups are tonight of course an just brought home the paper from school.
The sign ups are $80 which i guess inlcudes the uniform.. all my son needs is the jeresy (we bought him pants)... but holy crap $80 it sounds like someone is pocketing some!!! needless to say we can't afford it today!!!

is it that expensive for sports where you live?!

3HappylKidds

Asked by 3HappylKidds at 6:18 PM on Mar. 7, 2011 in General Parenting

• That's just nuts. I'd ask them where all that money goes. I was pissed when it was $40 and that was just for the shirt, hat and a trophy at the end of the year.

Answer by admckenzie at 6:19 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• We don't do team sports because it is so expensive and my kids really aren't into it. I laugh when parents come to sign their kids up for girl scouts and think it's crazy to pay $12 a year for registration and then will spend well over $100 for a few months to play a team sport.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 6:20 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• my son also got a soccer sheet last week for sign ups.. just for signing up is $45 .. the uniform is $30 for shirt, socks an shorts..

back in december or something they got ice hockey sign ups.. which was $75 just to SIGN UP!!! my son realllly wanted to do that.. at the time we could afford it, it bother me on the price but we could afford it... BUT he had know how to ice skate.. which he never have been before..

it is soo crazy how expensive things are to play!

3HappylKidds

Comment by 3HappylKidds (original poster) at 6:23 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Our's is $80.00, however $40 of this is raffle tickets.
    Kellyjude1

Answer by Kellyjude1 at 6:24 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• i have my 3 year old in dance class that is $40 a month but it goes from sept. thru may.. they have 10 rectiles, and 3 competitions - which they get trophies an such.. i think that would be worth it..

the games for the little league are from the last week of may to july 1. for $80 i dont see how its worth it.. really sad about it.
    3HappylKidds

Comment by 3HappylKidds (original poster) at 6:25 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• I know around here a lot of the "extra" money they get goes into fields and upkeep. Our town has some of the nicest fields around, so we are always hosting tourneys and such. The cost isn't quite that high, though.. closer to $60.
    Anonymous

• That is high---but with everything else going up---not surprised----and next school year our kids will have to pay to play sports in the high schools again. A large chunk of this is probably for insurance.
    lecates

Answer by lecates at 6:31 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• It's a whole lot cheaper than the sports we picked! They do Taekwondo which is $200. They do swim off and on, and that is a couple hundred a month for both kids, if we take them 2-3 times a week.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 6:37 PM on Mar. 7, 2011