Epidurals...

When I had my son I was induced around 3 wks early. My body wasn't ready for it at all and they blew up a balloon in my cervix and stuff and by the time I was having contractions I had enough, so I got my epidural. I liked it because they put a mirror in front of me and I got to see my son come out. I felt like I got to enjoy having him more. Now I am pregnant again and plan on having an epidural, but this child is with a different guy than the father of my son so different grandparents and such. My SO's mom put me down for wanting to get an epidural and for having one with my son. She said she didn't have one with her three kids because it was selfish. She said the baby has to feel everything so the mother should have to also.

kayaiden8907

Asked by kayaiden8907 at 6:22 PM on Mar. 7, 2011 in Pregnancy

• That is your decision. Educate yourself fully and don't let anyone, whether it be a friend, family member or health care professional talk you into or out of anything you want to do for your child's birth. it is a personal decision.
    cleanaturalady

Answer by cleanaturalady at 7:56 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• You do not have to be SuperWoman!! Have the drugs!!
    jen2774161

Answer by jen2774161 at 6:26 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Yeah best thing to do is to is smile and nod. Your comfort is key. :)
    Autumn07

Answer by Autumn07 at 6:26 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Tell her to butt out and if you want her opinion you will ask for it cuzz shes being rude talking that way to you!!
    michellesgirls2

Answer by michellesgirls2 at 6:31 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Natural birth isn't for everyone, and no mom should be chastised for her birth plan decisions. I'm sorry she's not more supportive, but she may not be supportive of a lot of your decisions, so just be prepared for that. There will always be people ready and willing to judge every decision you make, and you may just have to be armed and ready to fight back. Hang in there, mama, hopefully, she'll come around at some point, and accept that this is YOUR child and YOUR birth.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 6:28 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• That is insane I have never heard such a strange thing ever.

Sounds like she just wants to put you down....dont let her control you like that with guilt.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 6:33 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Its none of her buisness i had an epideral and my son was perfectly healthy and i had a very enjoyable birth if YOU choos on your own that you dont want one than thats awesome but dont let her bring you down
    kylansmommy09

Answer by kylansmommy09 at 6:35 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• She does things like that all of the time! She is constantly putting her opinion out there over everything. I never ask for her opinion and I wouldn't mind if she gave me her opinions but they are always negative and it's like she tries to make me feel dumb or like a bad person. When I used to say anything to my SO about her bothering me he would get angry, but now she is doing it alot to him too and its getting on his nerves. I don't even want her to come to the hospital when the baby gets here because I know she is going to try to tell us how to do everything.
    kayaiden8907

Comment by kayaiden8907 (original poster) at 6:36 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Well first off the contractions from pitocin are WAY worse then natural so the fact that you got the epidural with your first is not surprising. If you opt to not get induced this time around you might want to at least try and see what it is like without the epidural,but natural birth is not for everyone. Make sure you are aware of all your pain coping options and what effects they can have on both you and the baby before you decide on anything though.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 6:38 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• I personally have had both types of deliveries. One induced labor with epidural and one natural. I can tell you from my PERSONAL experience the natural was TREMENDOUSLY better. We are TTC again and this one will absolutely be natural. I LOVED my natural birthing experience.

THAT BEING SAID....ALL women are different and all women should have the birthing experience THEY want as long as it's not unreasonabley risky and harmful to the mother or baby.

There ARE risks to epidurals and those should not be ignored but typically the risks are minimal. Educate yourself about the risks and about other options for pain relief both medical and non-medical. THEN make your decision.

Oh and ignore the MIL....MIL's are like butt's everyone's got one and sometimes it itches! GOOD LUCK!
    Anonymous