Big Girl Bed

When should I change my LO to a toddler bed?

MKlein

Asked by MKlein at 6:22 PM on Mar. 7, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• We switched DS around 18 months. He was never a climber, but if he had been, we would've done it as soon as the climbing started. if you think she's ready, go for it. DS still doesn't climb out of his bed at night, and he's 2 1/2 now.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 6:24 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• When they are tall enough to be able to climb out of their crib. I never went to a toddler bed with my son, he went from the crib to a twin mattress on the floor and them on the frame with the boxspring
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 6:29 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• My son just turned 2 in February and we decided he was old enough for a big boy bed because he now has no problems getting in and out of our super tall bed. He doesn't sleep with us but sometimes he will climb up while I'm getting ready in the morning. We got the mattress and box spring Sunday and he did fine sleeping on that. He has not fallen out or anything. On Thursday his bed frame will be delivered. We thought It would be a good transition to the different heights and it has been so far. Good luck figuring it out for your LO.
    mrs.coop

Answer by mrs.coop at 6:29 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• My daughter is in a full bed and she is two. I didn't do the toddler bed because I figured she could handle a real bed since she hogs ours all the time. She can get in and out and she hasn't rolled out on the floor in her sleep.
    MrsJStearns

Answer by MrsJStearns at 6:43 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Really whenever you feel like it. A lot of parents say when your child can climb out of their crib, but I was TERRIFIED of DD climbing out! I didn't want her to fall on her face!! DD was in a toddler bed at 14 months, and she has been in a twin bed since right after her second birthday, and loves it!
    FatGirl239

Answer by FatGirl239 at 6:47 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Whenever you feel your child is ready and you are ready. We skipped over the toddler bed and went to a twin size bed, but with the thing you put b/c the mattress that lifts up so she can't roll out (can't remember what the thing is called). We moved her out of the crib the weekend we found out we were pregnant with baby #2. She was 2 years old.
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 6:48 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• My son was about 18 months. He too started to show signs of trying to climb out. He then went to a toddler bed and loved it!
    Georgiamom2283

Answer by Georgiamom2283 at 8:50 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• I would say around 2 yrs old.
    Alcavin08

Answer by Alcavin08 at 10:40 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• I changed my daughter to a toddler bed at 1 1/2 . We let her pick out her own bed. And we never had to much trouble with her getting out of bed . If she did we just told her that she is a big girl now and put her back in her bed. Which was an elmo toddler bed.
    kjade226

Answer by kjade226 at 12:19 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• When they outgrow the crib; this typically happens when they shift a lot, hit their head or are able to climb out of it. Look for these common signs. You can get a secured or railed toddler bed if you are concerned about her safety. Check out the variety of toddler beds available at aBaby.com. They have the best collection that I have seen.

lydiasinger

Answer by lydiasinger at 4:13 AM on Mar. 11, 2011