Possible down syndrome

Ok so im 17 weeks had the down syndrome blood test last week dr calls this morning says test results are positive. Now my son played the same trick on me lol turned out I had restricted blood flow thru the placenta. Anyone else have this happen to them? What does anyone think about the chances of it being the same problem again? Please keep in mind im only 23.. Thanks for any help!

Destins_Mommy

Asked by Destins_Mommy at 6:25 PM on Mar. 7, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I had that happen with my son and it was just a false positive. This time, I did not have the test done. My doctor agreed and said that after having a false positive last time, I would probably have another one. I would try not to worry about it. Talk to your doctor and see what he/she thinks you should do next to see if the results are accurate.
    Sillieguze

Answer by Sillieguze at 10:11 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• When I was pregnant with DD my dr. recommended we get the quad screen test because SO's sister has downs. We did the test and it came back positive, so we did an in depth ultrasound and found everything was fine. I cried for days worrying about it.

This time around we are NOT doing the test. I am not going to go through that again!

Good luck!
    FatGirl239

Answer by FatGirl239 at 6:34 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• I know that test has a high rate of false positives. I would see what else you can do to be sure!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 6:30 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Personally, I'd say if you had it test false positive with one pregnancy, its a good bet that it will happen again.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 6:30 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• If it happened to you with your son.....and you DO realize that the blood test has a very high false positive results.....then I think the probability is very low.

Sorry I dont have any better advice for you than...just dont get too worried over it yet.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 6:31 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Did u say that to the doctor?
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 6:32 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• The blood test does have a very high inaccuracy rate.... My advice, if you really want to know one way or another, have an amnio done.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 6:33 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• I agree. Amnio is the way to go if you're super concerned.
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 6:34 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• That test is known to give many false positives. That is why I didn't even get that test.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:34 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• The AFP test is bullshit. All it does is assess risk. If you want to know for sure you'll have to get an amnio. I can't even begin to tell how many people I know (myself included) that have been tortured with that stupid nonsense AFP test.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 6:41 PM on Mar. 7, 2011