Working out 3 days a week

I am trying to lose a LOT of weight, is working out 3 days a week enough?
40 min of cardio and then weights, stretching, so I am at the gym about an hour.

Bubbie0809

Asked by Bubbie0809 at 6:26 PM on Mar. 7, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• I think you'll get more out of it if you do 5-6 times a week but you should build up to it and it definitely shouldn't be all intense or all the same muscle groups. If you're doing 3 days now, after a month, add in a 4th day. Once you're used to that add in a 5th day. Never workout 7 days, your body needs some rest. You could do something like 3 days of strength training and on those days a little cardio or do a circuit which incorporates your cardio in with strength (and saves time!). On the other days just walk or if you go to the gym the elliptical or bike or swim. Now time is always a factor when you're a mom so try going on walks with the kids, running around and chasing them - incorporate activity into your family's life.
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 9:30 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• It depends on how many calories you eat during the day, how many you shred at the gym and how much rest you get.

Eating clean is one of the best ways to lose weight, eat a lot of low fat high proteine foods, skip a lot of carbs, use only "good" fats, etc.
    Rest is also very important because your body builds muscles while you rest.
    Anonymous

• I go to the gym 2-3 times a week with my personal trainer. He says that isnt enough to lose weight and I THINK it is. I have been going for a month and see results already but I also did change my eating habits so I guess thats an added. He thinks I need to go in at least 6 days to lose weight before the summner. I think 3 days out of the week of enough cardio and strength training is good as long as you eat right as well. When are home on days you are not at the gym do a few simple things likes jumping jacks, push up and crunches.
    KayGia0704

Answer by KayGia0704 at 6:33 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• I'd try to add more cardio, upping it to at least 5 days a week. I generally run 3 days a week and bike 2, and then do weights 3-4 days a week after the run/ride. Food is 80% of the battle. You need to eat at least 1200 calories a day, and I agree that eating clean is the best way to go. I've lost 50 lbs this way.  Here's a link to my journal with clean eating basics.

musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 6:35 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• 3 days is usually normal.. so ive heard..
    i am far too lazy to work out :)
    3HappylKidds

Answer by 3HappylKidds at 6:26 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• I do cardio daily usually run on the treadmill or outside for 30 minutes to an hour. I work out at the gym 3-4 days. At that pace I was able to lose 80 pounds in less than a year. I changed my eating to mostly vegetarian which helped with the weight loss tremendously.

Anonymous

• Yes, 30 min 3 times a week is what is recommended to maintain a healthy lifestyle. More than that is needed to make improvements to your body. I think your schedule sounds great for starting out and not doing so much you get burnt out. Good job and good luck!
    mrs.coop

Answer by mrs.coop at 6:35 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• 3 days per week is good for maintaining...I'd do 5 days per week to start, but then, like the others say it all depends on your calorie intake and calories burned per day/workout.
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 8:07 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Also depends on your age- The metabolism slows drastically in your 40s...making increased time and intensity of exercise necessary-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 8:41 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• I've been told this.... 5 to 6 days a week to change your body, 3 days a week to maintain.
    KristyB

Answer by KristyB at 10:04 PM on Mar. 7, 2011