How do YOU take 3 kids to the store by yourself?

I have 2 boys who are 3 and 1 and baby #3 is on the way. My husband will be deployed until baby is atleast 6 months old so my kiddos will be going everywhere with me. My 3 year old is autistic and cant walk in stores for long periods of time. He either starts wandering off or he throws a fit bc he is tired of walking. I am trying to come up with the best way to get grocery shopping and such done once there are 3. All imcoming up with is a double stroller and cart or 2 carts. I think that would just be crazy trying to get through the store exspecially with how crowded everywhere around here is! How do you ladies do it?

clo1988

Asked by clo1988 at 6:51 PM on Mar. 7, 2011 in General Parenting

• Very patiently Is there anyone who can watch them for u so u could run to the store?
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 6:53 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• My kids are 3,2 and 5 and I take them to the store all the time. I have to. I just do it.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 6:53 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Do you have family or friends near by that can help with the kids? Someone who is familiar with your son's autism? If so, leave your oldest son with them. Put your middle son in the seat of the cart. Use one of those tie thingies (can't remember the name - they didn't have them when I had kids) to carry your new baby. Shop away.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 6:55 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Wear the baby and push the 3 year old and 1 year old in a double carts. The ones that have two seats. Or has a car or something like that you can fit them both in it. I have done the two cart thing before I pushed one and pulled the other. Try a few different ways and you will find something that works for you. I found that wearing the infant was the easiest.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 6:56 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• i'm with melbornj. for your situation, i think it would be best to wear the infant & push the others in the cart or double stroller. i've tried pushing a stroller & a cart around, it's almost impossible to do it effectively. good luck mama! & congratulations!
    rAbella

Answer by rAbella at 7:05 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• My closest family member is 6 hours away so thats a no go! I think I might just end up shopping at the commisary full time since they have the nice buggys with 2 seats! Thats a easy enough solution :)
    clo1988

Comment by clo1988 (original poster) at 7:05 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Get a carrier for the new baby (the kind that stays on your body) and just go to the stores that have the kids sets for 2 and if the two 3 yr olds have a small toy that will keep them occupied for a hour let them take it in. Try to go when they have just gotten up from a nap so they are cranky and crying for everything. GL
    aheuszel

Answer by aheuszel at 7:11 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Do you live close to any family members or friends? Maybe someone cane accompany you to the stores. There is other options, shopping online or on the phone. Look into what your neighborhood offers, I know your son can be an handful. With the new baby you might feel like your losing your mind so you need to prepare now. Good luck
    dubewife

Answer by dubewife at 7:14 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• shop at odd hours...... midnight, 6am, whatever. less people, sleepy/docile kids.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 7:32 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• I had a newborn, 18 month old, and a 3 year old with autism. It depends on the store, but some of them have the big carts for 2 seats. My 18 month old was a little small, but he did fit with the straps pulled all the way, and then I wore my newborn in a baby bjorn. It worked fairly well.

Answer by missanc at 7:41 PM on Mar. 7, 2011