Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

S/O: Does anyone make cakes out of their homes?

I have friends in different states that do, but do any of you????
Do you guys worry about a food handlers license and a business license? Do you pay taxes on what you earn?

Answer Question

Asked by CABlonde at 7:01 PM on Mar. 7, 2011 in Money & Work

Level 19 (7,134 Credits)
Answers (3)
  • I don't make cakes or any food out of my home to sell. Legally you need to have your kitchen inspected and there are tight codes, for example: you need a seperate sink for dishes and one for washing your hands.....a friend who had her kitchen inspected was told to bring it up to code to legally be able to make food to sell would cost about $40,000!

    Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 7:45 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

  • I do but I make so few I don't have to worry about it. There are a lot of home cake bakers in my area though, they've all done the whole inspection, 2nd kitchen, etc, and don't have to worry about it.

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:14 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

  • Anyone who has a business must pay taxes on earnings. Any business must have a licence and any food business must be inspected by the health department.

    Answer by HotMama330 at 11:46 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.