Anyone use cloth diapers?

I have a 2 year old and i use disposable diapers with him but im wondering if i should use cloth diapers for the baby on the way. Ive never used them before and I have noticed that they are very expensive. I just want any kind of info you have on them. Do you like them ? why? what kind do you use? how much do they cost on a month to month basis? is it really worth it?

beckerswife1429

Asked by beckerswife1429 at 7:04 PM on Mar. 7, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I've used disposible too, but I was talking to some moms in 24/7 chat and alot of them do use cloth diapers. They said that they are better for our invirnment as well as cheaper in the long run couse you just wash them like cloths. And don't have to keep on buying diapers.
    Kimberly71682

Answer by Kimberly71682 at 7:13 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• I use cloth diapers on my 16 month old. I started when she was around a year old because I was sick of all the rashes. It can be overwelming at first, but the best way to start it to jump in and start!

I personally use prefolds and covers. I like them because they are easy to clean, they are the cheapest cloth option, and because they work well. I spend about 150 bucks on my cloth diapers and haven't had to buy ANY diapers since. I have 7 covers and about 50 prefolds plus a travel wet bag and a wet bucket (for wets/dirties). I wash about twice a week with a cloth diaper friendly laundry soap (Eco's is what I use 200 loads at Sam's for 11 dollars. I just use it on all my laundry). I start by running a cold rinse then wash in hot with the soap with an extra rinse cycle the dry in the dryer. DONE! Check out the cloth diaper group! THey are wonderful and feel free to PM me.
    aydansmomma04

Answer by aydansmomma04 at 7:20 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• I would recommend, they are an initial higher expense but they are a lot cheaper in the long run, better for babies bum and better for the environment. If you want to use them I do recommend trying to use them from the start....I had a hard time getting my daughter to switch from disposables to cloth at about 5 months, at first she hated them
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 7:39 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• They're really not expensive. It's a lot of money up front compared to disposables, but it saves a TON in the long run. Our cloth diapers had paid for themselves after like 4 months. I won't use disposables ever again. DD was allergic to almost all of them and plus cloth is so much easier and softer in my opinion. I love cloth sooo much. I used Bum Genius diapers, pre-folds and covers, and a few that I made. I paid about $125 for 2 dozen pre-folds, 6 Bum Genius diapers, 4 covers and a couple packs of Snappies (think I spelled that wrong). We got them when DD was 2 months old and they lasted until she was about 2 years old (that's when we started attempting potty training and she started spending more time with my mom who would not use the cloth). Soo... That's roughly $5.70 a month. I spent more than that on each pack of disposables.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 8:33 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• The easiest cloth diapers are the pocket diapers, I love BumGenius 4.0 with snaps. They have a soft fleece inside that keeps the baby feeling dry, and then you put one or 2 inserts into the pocket. I bought the one size diapers that fit fron 8 lbs all the way up to 35+ lbs. If you got these then both your kids could wear them. I started using them on my baby at 3 weeks old and now he is 11 months. I have never had a leak or blowout. I change him every 4-5 hours unless he poops. He never gets rashes. I dont like the kinds of cloth diapers that dont have a fleece layer over the insert, because the baby is sitting on a wet diaper which causes rashes. BumGenius cost a little more but its worth it if they dont leak like the cheaper pocket diapers.Go to www.jilliansdrawers.com for info on the different kind of diapers and how to wash your diapers. You can try any diaper on the website for one month and return it if you dont like it
    wood1980

Answer by wood1980 at 9:54 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• no althought they would be less expensive i find disposable more convinient
    Dani3lla

Answer by Dani3lla at 10:03 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• I've used both. Usually, the good ones are a bit pricey. But, they will likely last you a LONG time, and often, will still be good to go for another baby. What I did was looked on eBay, and bought 1 or 2 of a few different kinds and then found what I liked and what worked for us, and bought a bunch. It saves tons in the long run. If you don't have a washer/dryer, or at least a washer, I wouldn't recommend CD, but it IS doable.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:13 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• I use kawaii pocket diapers..they are only $6-8 each from www.theluvyourbaby.com which is AWESOME. You'd need about 10-12 a day, I wash every 2 days, in the long run its NOT expensive if you remember the cost of disposables
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 2:35 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• BumGenius is a great one to use! These diapers fit so well! and they do cost less in the long run and you will like it when you get used to using them, better for child and environment, free shipping coupon on these at www.toddlerbedandmore.com. Good luck with your decision!
    toddler101

Answer by toddler101 at 6:14 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• I have been using cloth diapers right from the start. I had seen my sister use them and they were really very convenient. She recommended the same to me. We buy our lot of Super Whisper Wraps from aBaby.com. The adjustable snaps and its’ inbuilt absorbent cloth is very unique. We just need to wash it and rinse it well and can be used for as long as you want them. They do not easily wear out. Check them at aBaby.com.

lydiasinger

Answer by lydiasinger at 4:11 AM on Mar. 11, 2011