Stress..

How can I keep myself from getting so stressed out with my 2 year old daughter whom is going through her terrible twos. I know im at my breaking point because Now im getting to rough and Im afraid Im going to hurt her (actually hurt her) Im not a bad mom. And I have never been this way. She just won't mind Time outs dont work and I have NO ONE to help me watch her so I can get away for a little bit so Im not as stressed. Im ready to bawl my eyes out. PLEASE HELP!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:12 PM on Mar. 7, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• does she still sleep in a crib? when it gets really bad, why not just put her in there, or somewhere she is safe, for a few moments while you gather yourself? even if you just go to the bathroom & shut the door, turn on the fan so you don't hear her, for 5-10 minutes, and take deep, relaxing breaths. parenting is hard & stressful at times, and i think we have all wanted to strangle them at one point or another. as long as its only a passing thought, it's normal, but when it gets bad enough to where you feel like you want to hurt, you need to remove either yourself or her from the stressful situation for a moment.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 7:16 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Oh my dear, I have been there! If it makes you feel better, one day I was trying to strap him into his stroller and he was bucking and screaming and a stranger came up and said, "You hold him down, and I'll strap him for you!" I was so grateful...the twos and sometimes threes are horrendous. Put her in a safe place and go into the bedroom and breathe. When she's asleep, take a bath and have a glass of wine. Also, part of being 2 is inability to communicate. I really recommend The Happiest Toddler on the Block. Basically, you say to them, "Yes, I get it! You are MAD!" or sad or whatever emotion they are trying to express. You validate that what they are trying to communicate is coming across and you understand them. Also, flip through super nanny's book for tips on how to deal with some of your issues with your daughter. It's almost like you have to "break" them by returning them to the time out spot as often as it takes. GL!
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 7:19 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• No one said that raising kids is easy, I know she seems unbarable at time. You need to remember through that she is only two and violance will only teach her that its ok, then you might have anather problem. When you feel like you might hurt her, step back and count to ten. Give yourself time to colect your toughts, but she is too young to even spank,
    Kimberly71682

Answer by Kimberly71682 at 7:21 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• I feel like and awful person/mom.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:26 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• i am going through the same thing with my 2 and 4 yr old ... it is super hard and sometimes i find myself acting the same way... i feel so guilty afterwards...i unwind with wine at night ( cant anymore bc im pg! GRRRR) ifshes still in a crib try to put her in their for awhile... i know its frustrating ! keep at it !
    zperez0809

Answer by zperez0809 at 7:32 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• The very fact that you posted the question tells me you're NOT an awful person and you're normal. This DOES happen to some of us, really. People handle things differently. For you, it's about learning patience w/o wringing her neck and this is something that has to be learned. You're not born with it. It's about taking the important steps to keep your head as cool as possible while parenting as effectively as possible. It can sometimes take a monumental effort and it is TOUGH. You can do it.
    Anonymous

• I am so sorry that you have nobody to help you. Clearly you need a break away, as you are only human. Your not an awful mom. You are being honest and it takes a strong person to reach out for help. Is there anyone as far as friends or family that could possibly babysit ? If ever you feel like you are going to hurt your daughter please walk away, and take some time to calm down. At this age she is still learning and testing her boundaries. Is there any play groups in your area? Maybe getting out and allowing her to play will help relieve some of the stress. We are all here for you and if ever you need help you can message us.
    Kellyjude1

Answer by Kellyjude1 at 7:36 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• On a normal basis I can't stand myself if i accidently grab her hand or something to hard when I go to pick her up or am playing with her. Or if Go to pick her up and put her in time out and she kicks and screams and gets a bruise or red mark from tryin to fight me off of her. So when I spank her hand or her bum (still in diapers) and she cries or when I push her away from me and she falls down INSTANTLY after doing it I want to crawl in a hole and die!!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:40 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• My mom works Night and evenings so Im always watching her kids. My Best and actuallly only friend is Still in school for most the day. And her dad Is lately gone all the time Except he gets back on wednesday. and I think I might just take a night to myself. I hope he doesn't freak out on me. But I need a break and he needs to understand that.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:43 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• The baby's dad.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:44 PM on Mar. 7, 2011