How long should a store refund take?

I purchased a couch from a company doing a going out of business sale. They called me up a month later and told me they oversold the product and are unable to order more so they had to just issue me a refund. I went in gave them my card watched her process it and was given a receipt showing a refund for the total amount. This was on Saturday and it is now Monday evening. I know that sometimes a bank may take a bit to show things in the account but usually chase is really good about showing pending transactions in or out.

Has anyone else had to wait for a store refund to show in their bank and how long did you wait? I don't want to harass the store if 5 days is typical but I also don't want to loose my money if there is a mistake.

Thanks

kayslay

Asked by kayslay at 7:24 PM on Mar. 7, 2011 in Money & Work

• If it happened on Saturday, it could be Wed before you see it. We use Chase too and the mortgage was paid on Friday; it's not even pending yet.
    silversmom

Answer by silversmom at 7:28 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• hm not sure how long in can take but usually within 24 hours. Call you band and talk to someone, they can see more that you can especially if you talk to someon higher up (you have to ask for that). In case there is a hold on it. Then call the store and tell them what happend and ask them how long is usually takes.
    LittleBirdFly

Answer by LittleBirdFly at 7:30 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• I menat to type Bank of course, not Band, lol
    LittleBirdFly

Answer by LittleBirdFly at 7:31 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Yes, that's about normal. Refunds take a lot longer than the purchase, unfortunately! I know when I have done them at various stores, some tell me up to seven days to see it, and I have.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 7:35 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Give it a few more days because these transaction can happen on a business day. Do not throw your receipt away and get a copy from your bank about pending transaction. You can also have someone call the store anonymously to ask them what is their return policy and how long do you normally receieve your money back in your account. Some systems take longer than others. If you see a week go by call them yourself and inquire on your money because you may have to file a police report. Good luck.
    dubewife

Answer by dubewife at 7:37 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• It can take up to 7 days according to most store's policies.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 7:58 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• It can take as long as ten days for a credit card refund to appear in your account

Answer by rkoloms at 8:49 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Usually takes several working days, sometimes even a week
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:57 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• That sounds typical, especially considering transactions aren't processed on Saturdays and Sundays.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 11:44 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• I waited 3 months for a credit from an online store. At first they were questioning it but I had all the paperwork and proof that someone there signed for it when I sent it back. Good luck.

1smartcookie

Answer by 1smartcookie at 12:52 PM on Mar. 8, 2011