Is it anywhere in the Bible that you are not to get tattoos? I always thought it was for some unknown reason. I have a sixteen year old who has been asking for a tattoo and I've always said no for that reason, but now I need proof. Anybody know where that is in the Bible or even if it is there at all? Please help me!

MrsMonaH

Asked by MrsMonaH at 1:17 AM on Nov. 22, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• The Bible warns us against tattoos in Leviticus 19:28 (Amplified) which says, "Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print or tattoo any marks upon you: I am the Lord."

There is a great article about this topic on this site......

http://www.bible.com/bibleanswers_result.php?id=230

MommasCooCoo

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 1:24 AM on Nov. 22, 2008

• i dont know were but i guess you can put it under the ten comandments "thou shall not harm thyself"
    vadasmom

Answer by vadasmom at 1:20 AM on Nov. 22, 2008

• bible says keep holy the temple of God and refers to the body as being the temple. Cant remember the exact scriptures but I'm sure if you search it online you can find it. The only issue you might have with that is if you allowed her to peirce her ears. But your the mom and have the right to simply say no because I said so. Maybe even have her talk to some people who have had the same tatoo for decades. Remind her a tatoo is a permenant symbol of a temporary time. I have an aunt who got a sea shell tatooed on her ankle 20 years ago. She is 40 something now and a volvo driving soccer mom and teh tatoo looks ridiculous as well as more like a bruise than a seas shell. Try battling it from a practical angle rather than biblical especially if she is not gung ho on the God thing to begin with. It might just be easier for her to undertsnad why you dont want her to get one
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 1:22 AM on Nov. 22, 2008

• what number commandment is thou shalt not harm thyself?
    humaniterian87

• I agree with : humaniterian87
    hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 1:24 AM on Nov. 22, 2008

• not sure but i know its in there
    vadasmom

Answer by vadasmom at 1:25 AM on Nov. 22, 2008

• There is not a commandment that says not to harm thyself IF there is I want to know the bible verse.
    hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 1:25 AM on Nov. 22, 2008

• There is something about "There shall be no permanant markings or something like that...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:25 AM on Nov. 22, 2008

• k nvm i was wronglol but i know its in the bible
    vadasmom

Answer by vadasmom at 1:27 AM on Nov. 22, 2008

• If your teen really wants the tattoo, the Biblical reference likely won't hold an ounce of water. So go for the practical.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:34 AM on Nov. 22, 2008