If you beleive in Heaven and Hell.........

Where do you beleive people who have commited suicide go? When my oldest daughter passed away in 2005 I attempted to commit suicide by taking a bottle of vicodin, fortunatly (yes I know this is an understatement) my attempt was not successful....I have since worried about what would have happened to my soul had my mother not been there to save me..Where do you beleive suicides go?

Lucky209

Asked by Lucky209 at 7:36 PM on Mar. 7, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• If the person has accepted Jesus, then he/she would go to Heaven the same as any other saved person. Suicide does not cancel out salvation.

I am happy that things turned out well for you OP. I can't imagine the pain of losing your child, and I don't believe God will fault you for having a moment of weakness in your pain. He is too loving a God for that. Hugs and Prayers for you.
    asmcbride

Answer by asmcbride at 9:32 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• What I believe, and what my church teaches is that if you have received Christ as your Lord and Saviour, then you will join his kingdom upon your death, even if that is by suicide. I too overdosed, 17 years ago, and was lucky enough to come to my senses and get myself to the hospital.

I can only imagine the pain that your daughter's death caused you. I am thankful to God that you have another chance at your life. He obviously is not done with you yet.
    ElenaC419

Answer by ElenaC419 at 7:40 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• I believe you would still go to Heaven.
    The only unforgivable sin is the rejection of Jesus!
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 8:28 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• I believe that if you're saved, you go to Heaven. Salvation is eternal. The only unforgiveable sin is blasphemy of the Holy Spirit.

In Matthew 12:31-32, Jesus says to the Pharisees,

"Therefore I say to you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven men. Anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man, it will be forgiven him; but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit, it will not be forgiven him, either in this age or in the age to come" (NKJV, emphasis added).
    the_kimmers

Answer by the_kimmers at 10:32 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• In a way I do. I believe there is a Higher Realm of existence where we will all eventually ascend to, but I believe in reincarnation over ascention. And as for "Hell," no, I don't believe there is a Lower Realm which we will ever inhabit, but I do belive there are lower realms. I simply don't believe that we have the ability to exist there.

As for people who commit suicide, I believe they reincarnate as do the rest of us.

My Two Cents About Life, Death, Fate & More...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:21 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• We often forget that God is aware of everything. Our intentions, our actions, our state of mind. I take a great deal of comfort from this snippet from the Catechism

"We should not despair of the eternal salvation of persons who have taken their own lives. By ways known to him alone, God can provide the opportunity for salutary repentance. The Church prays for persons who have taken their own lives" (CCC 2283).

adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 10:40 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• I guess I personally am not sure........... they don't have a chance to be saved and it's supposed to be like murder, they're taking their own life. I was raised to believe suicides to straight to hell as a murderer. I am not so certain as an adult now if I believe that to be true. I like to think God would take pity on them..........
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 7:41 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• alot of people say if you commit suicide you go to hell. i dont believe that
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 7:42 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• i don't know....i refrain from thinking where people are going to 'end up' because imo that's judging and that's a definite no no the way i look at things. so i'm not sure and any opinions either way haven't been very compelling so i plead ignorance lol.

princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 7:49 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Sorry I didnt clarify that yes I am saved....at that point in my life I had backslidden and was definatly not living the right kind of life....I thought for a time that this was God's punishment...I know better now...since then I have felt God in my life in a way that I never had before....I was raised to beleive that suicides did go to hell but like hibbingmom...I'm not sure now
    Lucky209

Comment by Lucky209 (original poster) at 7:49 PM on Mar. 7, 2011