what age did u start potty trainning

my dd is 20mo my mil tried pt when she was 18mo and she did good, but i didnt stick with it, she now takes off her pamper after she pees or poops in it, so this is the second day i've been trying and she does go if i make her, but she wont tell me she needs to, is this normal, or is she too young?

carimo

Asked by carimo at 1:21 AM on Nov. 22, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• no shes doin better than my kid did i just got mine to be potty trained a few months ago at age 3. she WOULD NOT do it. so a couple days i just let her go in underwear and she just kept goin in them, unitl one time i saw the pee started goin down her leg and i didnt know wat to do so i kinda freaked her out by screaching NNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOO! lol i felt bad but after that she told me when she had to go and has been potty trained ever since
    vadasmom

Answer by vadasmom at 1:50 AM on Nov. 22, 2008

• really not to young.i would just keep asking her or taking her to the potty about every 10 to fifteen minutes and tell her to pee-pee and in a few days (may take longer she will get the hang of it and pretty soon they will be going on their own.but if they have only ever been in diapers get her some underwear keeping diapers or pullups on will only prolong the process because they think of it as a diaper so as soon as i got ready to potty train i bought regulas underwear good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    momof4150

Answer by momof4150 at 11:49 AM on Nov. 22, 2008

• She's too young for you to expect her to go on her own. Put her on a schedule and take her. You can use a simple kitchen timer to remind both of you.

The term "potty training" really varies. Some people claim their child is potty trained because they are trained to go when sitting on the potty and generally don't have many accidents. Others think a chid is potty trained once the child is fully responsible for everything - stopping playing, going to the bathroom, working clothes with no help, washing hands... all with no help or prompting from you. Pick your definition and go for it. You'll end up with a fully trained child at some point - usually at the exact same age regardless of how old the child was when you started.

Oh, and to answer your question, I started at 27 months. My daughter would NOT sit on the potty before that and I was not about to force her to do so.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:41 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• My dh and i started to intro the potty when my DS turned 1. He is good about it (but we're on strike right now lol). I thinks 20 months is a little young for them to TELL you they have to go , I would take her on a schedule (like pp said). it'll help her understand she HAS to go potty! And rewards are good. Make sure to identify with her that front is pee ppee and back is poo poo. Maybe she'l get it soon!

Good luck
    eykelley

Answer by eykelley at 6:29 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• If she is taking off her diaper after she pee's and poops then she is ready to potty train. Most children actually have an approximate time schedule. Start keeping track of the time when she does this and start putting her on the potty at those times. Hope this works. GL
    Xee

Answer by Xee at 7:49 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• my daughter was 2 sept 19 we started it a few days before she was 2 i just sat her down and said when you have have to go potty you need to go to the bathroom and use the potty. i left the diaper on for like 5 days she stayed dry no poop or pee so i bought her underware. she is now 2yrs and 2 months and has no accidents during the day and every great once in a while she wets the bed at night. stay consistant!
    shaedog3

Answer by shaedog3 at 9:43 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• ive read alot of articles and its known that a child no matter the age will let you know when they are ready just like anything else. My son was 14 months old when he started taking his diaper of in the morning and peeing. He also would scrunch down when he had to go pee like he was trying to hold it. When i asked him if he wanted to go pee pee in the potty and showed him the toilet he got excited. make your own judgement you child is different individual and you and your child will now when the time is right. hope this helps. I also no of a baby of 8 months old that would go potty on the toilet.
    nini143jordyn

Answer by nini143jordyn at 11:17 PM on Nov. 22, 2008