How do I clean with vinegar?

I have heard a lot of women on here say they clean everything in their house with vinegar and baking soda. I was just wondering how to use it. Do you use both at the same time or one after the other? I am interested in cleaning like this as it seems much safer than cleaning with or even keeping chemicals in my house with my kids. Thanks for any information. :)

Kword

Asked by Kword at 7:47 PM on Mar. 7, 2011 in Home & Garden

• I get a gallon jug of white vinegar & two lemons cut up into wedges & shoved inside, then put it into a cool dark closet for a couple of weeks to let it marinate. When ready to use, fill an empty spray bottle with 50% the white vinegar/lemon mix & 50% water, then spray & clean as usual. The addition of the lemon helps to cut the vinegar smell some & boosts its antibacterial properties some. I use baking soda whenever I need to scour something, like bathroom tiles or the kitchen sink. You can mix white vinegar & baking soda for extra scrubbing, but you don't have to.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 8:02 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• I just pour it on my rag and clean. You can use it for any type of surface. It shines metal surfaces too. I also clean with rubbing alcohol and bleach as well.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 7:48 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• I don't use vinegar. I use baking soda like you wouldn't believe. Baking soda is considered a micro scrubber. I use it when I clean the top of my stove, the counters. If you have a light colored counter top and there is a Kool-Aid stain on it, pour a very small amount of baking soda on it. With a damp cloth, rub the baking soda over the stain. It comes right off. If your teeth are stained by tea or coffee, use baking soda on your teeth. Tea and coffee stains come right out of mugs when you use it. I use it on my stainless steel sink to clean it up and shine it up. Right now, I am using the stuff on a greasy spot on the ceiling over my stove.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 7:55 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• I just use an old spray bottle and mox half water and half white vinegar. The smell goes away when it dries, but some like to add a scent with a few drops of an essential oil such as lemon. Tea Tree Oil is added by some for it's increased garm killing abilities.

Don't mix the baking soda with this because it foams....the vinegar and baking soda react and lose their power together once the foaming is done. But you can sprinkle baking soda in the tub or toilet then add some vinegar and clean while it's foaming. You can also use this combo in your drains to clean out clogs and if you get fruit flies in the summer you can put them down the kitchen drain to kill any larvae....
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 7:55 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Thanks! I'm definitely going to try this. :)
    Kword

Comment by Kword (original poster) at 8:04 PM on Mar. 7, 2011