Has anyone attended marriage counseling that helped their marriage?

I'm actual asking for my daughter. She's been married 1.5 years and things are not going well. I don't want her to be miserable, but I also don't want them to give up on something without trying. I've suggested they attend counseling, but not really sure where they should go or how much it costs.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:12 PM on Mar. 7, 2011 in Relationships

• We went but it didn't help.

Answer by admckenzie at 8:12 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• You should watch Fireproof. Kirk Cameron is in it. He and his wife (in the movie) had marital problems to the point where she was ready to call it quits. At the end of the movie there is a website that anyone can go to to get help. The movie is definitely worth watching. I hope it helps.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 8:19 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• ours was a sliding scale bc it was non-profit places but it helped us communicate better and understand each other too.
    tirelessefforts

Answer by tirelessefforts at 9:08 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• They BOTH have to want to work things out, not one more than the other; my husband and I did marriage counseling 3x and it finally worked. They both have to change their flaws and whatnot since its not a one-way street it takes two to tango
    My2boys0523

Answer by My2boys0523 at 10:22 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Sometimes you can get counseling through your work there may be a waiting list though but its worth a try if things are not good. My friend went through this and it helped...but there were some rough sessions as ppl don't like to hear when they are wrong.
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 10:46 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• im starting mine next week i'll let u know how it goes
    Dani3lla

Answer by Dani3lla at 11:04 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• We've been, and though the suggestions that the counselor gave us didn't help much, it helped to go and talk it out. opened my DH's eyes to a lot of things he was missing.

Our counselor was really not very good, so we started making fun of her behind her back. like I''d bet that she wouldn't even remember what our homework assignment was, so once it came out that she in fact did not remember what the assignment was, here we were in the office laughing and he was trying to get out of the bet. we came clean that we'd made the bet. laughed more when she got red in the face. What seemed to work best was that we'd started to tease the counselor about how she'd quote the movie the ref! brought us together some how
    I'd give it a try if I was her, but she doesn't have to stay in a marriage that doesn't work
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 2:47 PM on Mar. 8, 2011