Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump


Ok so I provide childcare for a infant his parents want my sn for tax purposes which is fine by me BUT....i didn't file any claims that i made any money.

Will I get into trouble if I give them my sn for them to claim childcare expenses?????

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 8:16 PM on Mar. 7, 2011 in Money & Work

Answers (10)
  • We had that same problem and had to start taking the kids elsewhere. We wanted to claim the money we paid in on our taxes, but the daycare provider didn't want us to. I believe if they claim it, you will have to also claim it.

    Answer by m-avi at 8:18 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

  • They want your ss#?? Nope... all you need to do is start writing them receipts when the pay you so there is a paper trail.  There is no reason they should need your ss#. 


    Answer by luvmygrlz at 8:19 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

  • They have every right to claim their childcare. So if they want it, I would give it to them. Because they can still enter it in without your consent, and let the IRS deal with it. I've done it before because the person didn't give me the reciepts of paid day care. They don't need your social security number though. You can fix this though. I'll bet you won't even have to pay in that much. DOn't freak. But do address it so it doesn't cost you more than it has to. Good Luck.

    Answer by Musicmom80 at 8:20 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

  • Not many people are going to miss a tax deduction. They do not need your SS#, but it will catch up to you when they file you and you don't file the income. Then you will have to pay back taxes with % and fees. You might offer them a discount if they agree not to file you.

    Answer by dancinintherain at 8:24 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

  • You will get in trouble and have to pay taxes on what you have made for the past year. I worked at a daycare and was paid under the table, she got caught when we bought a house and used my income too. ( I had no clue she wasn't claiming to pay me) You need to start keeping books and giving receipts. They are right to ask for your info so they can get a write off for child care costs, and if you start keeping books, you can write a lot of things you buy for your child care off for taxes too.

    Answer by BabyBugsmama at 8:46 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

  • IF you are a licensed provider, it's better to file it because YOU can get a lot of write offs. You can get write offs for food you buy to feed that child, you can claim so much in household stuff too like toys for the child care, educational items, even wear and tear on your furniture. I know because i almost became a child care provider. And they have every right to file it on their taxes, so you should file it on yours because if they do, and you don't, you can get in trouble. You can file an amendment I believe if you are concerned about it.

    Answer by AprilDJC at 12:31 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

  • By law, you have to declare ALL income.

    Answer by rkoloms at 5:56 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

  • You could, if they catch it. If and when they do you will owe the taxes and penalty for whatever they figure. You won't go to jail or anything but you also could file an amended return and claim the income.
    They should have told you they wanted to claim it before you started keeping the kid so you could have known to claim it (even though you are supposed to many don't)

    Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:52 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

  • I don't think you should have to give them your social security # either. A receipt should do.

    With your taxes- just file an amendment. And this year make sure you file quarterlies. You might owe a little bit in taxes this year, but you might not if your expenses were close to the amount you brought it...

    Answer by Erica_Smerica at 5:00 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

  • When I filed my taxes it did ask for my child care providers SSn or tax number inorder to get the deduction. My sitter claimes everything as a write off.

    Answer by aus14 at 3:40 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.