How can I get my daughter diagnosed with aspergers?

Somebody referred me to this site to see if I can get my questions answered. I have a daughter that shows all signs of aspergers but the therapists are saying not likely even though her testing at school shows most likely and she shows alot of the charactoristics of a aspergers kid? So I am wondering if anyone knows how to convince these therapists.

alisarahkylie

Asked by alisarahkylie at 8:22 PM on Mar. 7, 2011 in Kids' Health

• You may just have to wait a bit. Asperger's isn't that serious, and there are many people who have it who live a normal life. If you have to have it diagnosed, you may have to be patient.
    GreenyJaz

Answer by GreenyJaz at 8:29 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Take her to a pediatrician and go from there
    tirelessefforts

Answer by tirelessefforts at 8:30 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Do you need a referral to see a specialist? How is your pediatrician? You might ask for him/her to give you a referral, even if they disagree with your diagnosis. Good luck!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 8:31 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• If she was tested at school, don't they usually refer you to someone? You can't force a diagnosis. And a lot of those traits could be similar to other conditions as well.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 8:39 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Do you think she needs therapy or special ed? If not,she doesn't need a diagnosis

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:52 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Please check out "medlineplus.com". It has information on their website that I hope will help you. I always hear about "webmd.com" but I never heard about this other website until my ds was hospitalized for something else. The pediatricians, neurologists, and nurses at the local children's hospital tell all of the parents about this website. I went to medlineplus.com and did a search on diagnosing aspergers syndrome. It came up with with several pages to check out. I hope this info helps. I hope that you can find a doctor or neurologist, anyone in the medical field to really listen to all of your concerns. If they don't know how to help you, I hope that they are willing to search and find someone who can help you.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 8:54 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• My suggestion would be to get a referral to a deveolpmental pediatrician who would be qualified to make such a diagnosis. My daughter was diagnosed with classic autism by a team of specialists, including the developmental pedi. You are probably not going to convince the current therapists but I would suggest getting this taken care of asap so that your child can get the necessary help.
    brknangel

Answer by brknangel at 8:43 AM on Mar. 12, 2011