Have any of you children ever had this for an assignment?

My son (16) came home from school today and informs me that his health teacher has assigned them a power-point research project and he needed to do some research. I asked what the project was and he tells me that he is in a small group with a his friends in that class and they were assigned an illegal drug to research. (They just started a section in the book about the drugs) We know absolutely nothing about this stuff and I've spent the night helping him look up information. I think this is a little odd. What do you think of this? Have your kids ever had to do anything like this before?

austinsmom95

Asked by austinsmom95 at 8:33 PM on Mar. 7, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• I can recall having to study the negative effects of specific illegal drugs in Health class. Hopefully it makes kids more informed to make the right choices and say no.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 8:36 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• well my kids are small yet, but when i was in hs i had to do a report on cocaine for health class. we didn't have to do it on power point though (it was caveman days you see lol), but i just did my research at the library and there were plenty of books there. now that there is the internet you could look up good articles on there too to reference. i also had to do a report on a std (i got ghonnoreah)

princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:36 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Hopefully, it will help teach kids the negatives of illegal drugs. I would have NO problem with this kind of project.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:37 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Well being my kid are 9 and 10 no not yet. I think it would be a good assignment to educate teens about drugs and inform them the dangers so long as they don't try it as a form of "research"...lol.

luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 8:38 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• I had to do a project on inhalants. I think I ended up learning more on how to huff crap then anything else. These projects just taught me what all the drugs were an how to use them. I didn't find that helpful in one bit.
    mrs.coop

Answer by mrs.coop at 8:39 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• I have had to do projects like this in college. Knowledge is power!
    Anonymous

• I think my youngest was a juinor when they had an assignment like that. Each group had a different class of drugs and then the gave presentations.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:43 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• All of my children have had to do projects on drugs, illegal and legal.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:09 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Here is a great website... www.erowid.com One of my coworkers, who had a drug problem, gave me this site. It really gets into the BAD and some of the not so bad of drugs...even legal ones (including nicotine and caffeine).

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:29 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• yup i remember having to do that and on an STD before too. its whats happening in school these days because the parents at home dont discuss it because " my child knows better" thats a dumb reason for not talking about it. so the school is doing its job by educating.
    shellychivell

Answer by shellychivell at 4:41 AM on Mar. 8, 2011