Cat in heat again?!?

How often can a female cat go into heat? My 9 month old cat has been in heat 4 times since we got her when she was 10 weeks old! Is that normal?? We want her to have a litter of kittens, but not until she is at least a year. But its so annoying!!

BabyBugsmama

Asked by BabyBugsmama at 8:41 PM on Mar. 7, 2011 in Pets

• What musicmom said
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 9:30 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Just as with dogs, cats can have issues giving birth, they might need help and they definitely shouldn't be having kittens until at least 2 years old. Anything younger than that and her body is not ready physically and she is not ready maturity wise.

I'm glad you are okay to have them fixed. Please convince your husband to get her spayed.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 9:23 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• I hate to ask because I don't want you to take it the wrong way, but I am curious as to why you want her to have a litter of kittens? There are so many kittens out there who do not have homes :(
    kayaiden8907

Answer by kayaiden8907 at 8:44 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Heat cycles in cats last from several days to two weeks or longer, and repeat every two to three weeks. You can see then, how a female cat may almost always seem to be in heat.

Yes, but if you don't get all the kittens fixed, they will inbreed. I know about farm cats.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 8:49 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• I love cats they are my favorite pets and I would have too many if I could lol I also live in the country and we have had barn cats. I was just wondering if it was a certain breed you were trying to have kittens for or something.
    kayaiden8907

Answer by kayaiden8907 at 8:55 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• They come in heat several times a year. Usually several times in the end of summer and then again in Jan-Feb. Several times.
    Nitestalker

Answer by Nitestalker at 12:46 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• She will pretty much stay in heat until she gets pregnant. Just get her spayed. Just because she is a good mouser does not guarantee that her kittens will be. Frankly if you want barn cats there are plenty of strays out there that would be perfect for that job.  Why add to the population?

KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 8:56 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• She is a beautiful calico cat and her temperament is amazing. She is also a great mouser and dh thinks that her kittens will have the same traits ( I'm not sure but I'm not going to argue because we live in the country and I'm ok if we have a ton of barn cats)
    BabyBugsmama

Comment by BabyBugsmama (original poster) at 8:48 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• I'm ok with getting them fixed. I know the cost that will go into having more animals.
    BabyBugsmama

Comment by BabyBugsmama (original poster) at 8:52 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• My cat had kittens at just over one year old, she was a great mom. Im not sure about why your cat isin heat so often, ours didnt untill the kittens she did have were conceived.
    If you want her to have kittens, just let her outside and the male cats will find her...is she fully grown? I'd wait till at least a year old tho.
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 12:18 PM on Mar. 8, 2011