Potty training accident

I have a 3 yr old son who is potty trained, but now he is having accidents, not at night, during day he will not stop playing, or stop watching television, my question is I know he is just to busy having fun and dont want to stop what he is doing, so how to i punish him or should i? i am afraid if i dont punish him he will continue but if i do i will discourage what he has already learned, so please how to punish him and when and how?

bperkins

Asked by bperkins at 8:41 PM on Mar. 7, 2011 in General Parenting

• If it is that he just can't be bothered to stop. Then he should clean up his own mess, including putting the clothes to soak, and the activity is discontinued, since "he can't remember to use the potty when he is doing the activity."

Answer by Bmat at 8:44 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• well first of all make him completely clean up the mess he made (put clothes in the hamper or wherever, clean the floor, etc.) they can do a very thorough job, don't let him half-ass it. i don't scold them, but i do make it clear that they are going to clean up their mess and that in itself is a deterrent. start reminding him every so often that it's time for a potty break and that his toys aren't going to run away while he's in the bathroom. if you have a dvr on your tv then you can pause his show, if not just wait until commercial break. that really works well in my house.

princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:45 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• No don't punish him. This is my story. My 3 yr old boy decided the only place to poop was on my bedroom carpet. I was "oh hell no" and punished, cajoled, you name it. Well nothing was working so I gave the "don't make it into a moral issue" a try. Every time he did it I cleaned it up without saying a word. One week later he started using the toilet..a week!

So no, no punishment. I would just try to figure out his pee schedule and put everything else on pause until he's been.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 8:46 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• If your son is playing you should go ahead and stop him for a potty break. he will grow out of having those types of accidents on himself don't worry about it. pretty soon you might have to stop him from going anywhere he feels the urge. My sons used to pee outside in public instead of coming in. Boys are a very interesting species to raise.

ptomom678

Answer by ptomom678 at 9:15 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• I agree that punishment is NOT the way to proceed here. When his show is finished, or one game seems to be losing its appeal and he's ready to move on to something else, take a potty break. Just suggest he go and try sitting on the toilet for a minute in case he needs to go more than he realises. A three or four year old is still very young, and accidents happen. Don't make a big issue of it. Keeping his sense of self-esteem and accomplishment is far more important.

I've toilet trained 5 out of my 6 kids over the years, and I know it can be really frustrating. Just keep it in perspective and know that you should expect little accidents before he learns complete control, and that's okay.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 9:27 PM on Mar. 7, 2011