WYR: Solid surface or granite counter tops?

Want new counter tops and not sure of the best choice. Any advice is appreciated.

Librarylady60

Asked by Librarylady60 at 8:45 PM on Mar. 7, 2011 in Home & Garden

• Look at Quartz....never need sealing, look more like granite, and not plastic looking like solid surface (Corian). Zodiaq is one of the brands.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 8:48 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• i have corian (which is a solid surface countertop). here are the benefits as compared to granite. you don't have to seal them (granite you have to seal every year), they don't stain (granite can), if they get a scratch it can be buffed out with the little sandpaper they provide you with (with granite it's a major issue), it's more eco friendly, the quartz composite tops will not harbor bacteria, and imo there are more choices for colors in solid surface than granite. if you want to have a 'natural' one i would go with a quartz composite (like silestone), synthetic i would do corian. i'm very happy with mine for the past 6 years, no problems
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:51 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• We loved our solid surface countertops. That will be one of the first things that we do when we we buy our new house.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 9:41 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• I have granite, but later this year we are going to do a remodel- might do recycled glass+ resin or quartz. IDK, all the granite seems to look so much alike- I want something different and unique( I'm hoping this is my last home).

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 11:38 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Princessbeth: you do NOT have to seal granite every year.

We recently went through a kitchen remodel and none of the solid surfaces we looked at even came close to the beauty of the granite we chose. If you want something really different and your style accommodates it, you can try concrete (it can be stained/colored to your liking).
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:42 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Granite. My hubby and his cousin do granite work for people. I think the natural look is so awesome.
    TwilightMack

Answer by TwilightMack at 8:49 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Granite their is so many color choices
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 11:32 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• I prefer granite. Corian is also nice.
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 11:36 AM on Mar. 8, 2011