Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Child support modification

Help! My ex iS taking me to court to have his child support payment to be reduced as he is not making as much $ as he used to.
He pays $1000 per mont for our 14yr old girl.
I do have a job and am remarried.
I do need that money and do not want it reduced.
What can I do to fight this...?
My ex is self employed and he claims his buisness is failing. My daughter wants to spend time with her dad but he refuses to see her or answer her phone calls and she is very upset. She has called him, left messages saying how sorry she is for whatever she's done, that he thinks she's done. He has never returned her calls and never answers her calls. She has done nothing wrong, Appreciate any input, thanks.
Plus my ex has stopped seeing our daughter for over a year now. He claims she turned on him and 'uses' him to buy her stuff.


Asked by Anonymous at 8:45 PM on Mar. 7, 2011 in General Parenting

This question is closed.
Answers (4)
  • I get $50 so don't expect sympathy from me. Make a budget.

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:48 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

  • WOW. * PLEASE dont take this wrong*
    You need to try and maintain the FATHER/DAUGHTER relationship. He deserves to be in her life EVEN though she has a STEP dad that she lives with too.

    Keep in mind that while YOU & STEP NEED THAT CHILD SUPPORT MONEY...... YOUR EX has LOST HIS POSITION AT WORK and all the while he still WANTS TO PROVIDE for his daughter..... HE HAS TO LIVE TOO.

    BUDGETS seem to work for all of us who don't get support or who don't get enough. CUT back on some of your spendings.

    Answer by kkbird at 9:05 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

  • There isnt really anything you can do about it. If he is making less money and every state is different, but usually I think it has to effect child support by 15%, then he can ask for it. He would most likely also be granted one if a modification has not been done in more then a year, if he is having a hard time making payments, and can prove he is underemployed. All you can do is hope it isnt reduced too much, but in 4 yrs you wont get it anymore anyway. If he starts making more money then you can always go back to court for an increase. I would maybe ask if it is reduced a clause be added if he finds gainful employment or gets a raise you can bring him back to court for an increase again.

    Answer by gemgem at 8:49 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

  • I don't think there's anything you can do, it' based on what they make.....

    Answer by tirelessefforts at 9:16 PM on Mar. 7, 2011