What do you do when you cannot help your child with homework because you just don't understand it?

tastymama

Asked by tastymama at 8:46 PM on Mar. 7, 2011 in General Parenting

• Could you talk to the teacher and just be honest about it? My son's not in school yet, but almost all of the teachers I've known would try to help your son get the help he needs. There may even be tutors who work with the school. In my high school there was a really nice guy who only tutored kids in math (any math class) after school... but I think most kids either didn't know about him or didn't seek out his help. I think there were also tutors for other subjects.

And I guess there is always the option of private tutors... if you can aford it.
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 9:04 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• I try to get their friends to help out. At my kids school they can go to quest time,their they can get one on one help an they get a chance to be with kids doing the exact same work.
    MarGeee

Answer by MarGeee at 9:00 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• get him a tutor, no big deal.
    ptomom678

Answer by ptomom678 at 9:10 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• ask the teacher, get a tutor...
    tirelessefforts

Answer by tirelessefforts at 9:15 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• I use google to find sites to help me understand
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:24 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Call my niece, she is a teacher.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 9:26 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Find someone who can help him. Ask the teacher to help him, get a tutor. Google and find out how to help him.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:31 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• I am lucky to have teachers as friends and family but I usually don't bother them though. I will look it up on the computer if it's a basic equation or something but more often than not, I e-mail the teacher.
    Philly247

Answer by Philly247 at 9:31 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• I've written a note on my 2nd grader's homework when she doesn't understand and I can't figure out how to explain it.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:40 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• i email the teacher. he's in kindergarten, but they use some techniques that i didn't have so i emailed her and she told me what it was about lol. (i had never heard of a 10 frame lol)
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:51 PM on Mar. 7, 2011