What do you feed your kids? Ideas please.

I was wondering if I could get some ideas on what to feed kids and how much to feed them. I have an 11 year old dd and I'm ashame to say she is a little overweight and I would like to start making better food choices when I feed her.

I was raised eating not the healthiest of foods and I guess I carried it over to my family but I would like to change that. Hope I'm not too late.

momplus01

Asked by momplus01 at 8:49 PM on Mar. 7, 2011 in Health

• well since she's older then you don't have to cook anything special for her like if she was a baby. you could start cooking healthier for the whole family and of course everyone will benefit. i like the birdseye frozen veggies that you just put the whole bag in the microwave and they always come out perfectly steamed. you could start using boneless skinless chicken breasts and grill them, while it's still a little cold you could make chili (that's really good for you) with or without meat (and you could sub. ground chicken or turkey for the hamburger), they have wonder bread 'smart' white that has 5g of fiber and 100 cal for 2 slices. other breads can be over 100 cal for 1 slice and some (especially white breads) have only 1 g of fiber. it tastes exactly like regular wonder bread i swear lol. i don't know what she drinks, but if she likes soda she could switch to diet or drink flavor water (my kids love flavor water).
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:00 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• It is never too late. I have 3dss. Their ages are 12, 8, and 4. My 4 year old doesn't understand about diet but his older brothers do understand. This past weekend, I discussed with my dh about cutting back on the sweets. He agreed with me that it was a good thing to only have sweets on the weekend. All snacks will be either fruit or veggies. No Ranch dressing with the veggies. We are trying to make these changes in our diet because we feel that we need to. It is a shame that Little Debbie snack cakes are way less expensive than fruit and veggies. It is difficult to eat healthy when one is on a very tight budget. We will be getting our 2 oldest into sports this spring. If your daughter is going into junior high this next year, the school might have volleyball, basketball, and softball that she could get active in.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 9:11 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• just incorporate things that are good for her when giving her meals--like with dinner give her a small salad, or celery and carrot sticks also ask her doctor for suggestions

Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 10:39 AM on Mar. 8, 2011