Iud problems.

My cousin has the mirena IUD and went in today to have it removed because she has been bleeding since they put it in. The said nothing is wrong with the IUD so they are going to do bloodwork and and ultrasound. What could they be looking for?

amber1330

Asked by amber1330 at 9:01 PM on Mar. 7, 2011 in Health

• Maybe to see if it perforated her uterus, and for a septic infection? If they do the blood test into bottles with a substance that looks like salad dressing, those are blood cultures, so they're looking to see if bacteria got into her blood. They may also look to see if she's anemic.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 9:04 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Could be cysts, problems with her uterus from the Mirena or an ectopic pregnancy...I had Mirena for two years and had no complications, but I did just suffer a miscarriage and I am not sure whether the Mirena had anything to do with that.
    MrsJStearns

Answer by MrsJStearns at 9:05 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• I'm not sure, but I had one and it was awful! I bled for weeks after they put it in then my hair started falling out. I finally quit having periods but then my stomach started bloating and was super tender. Then I got an infection in my uterus so I had them take it out. My best friend got one too and she got pregnant with it and then for some reason she got another and it fell out! Maybe they are checking for a tubal pregnancy?
    kayaiden8907

Answer by kayaiden8907 at 9:05 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Pregnancy is what I was thinking.she is in a lot of pain also. My MIL had an iud and they didn't test to see if she was pregnant before putting it in and she went in after 5 months of bleeding and there he was. She ended up losing him when they pulled the IUD out. It was so sad.
    amber1330

Comment by amber1330 (original poster) at 9:21 PM on Mar. 7, 2011