ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?!? (vent)

Ok, some of you all already know of the problems I'm having with my son. Well, he's 16, anger issues, mouth, blah blah blah. He is going to jr prom and he is all nice and sweet because 9 other friends are getting a limo and he's been invited, of course to pay his part.

I do not have the money for...
his tux (80 - 100 bucks)
2 tickets (i'm assuming i'm paying for his date's - thats prob 40 - 60 bucks)
her coursage (sp) - who knows
prom pics - again, who knows
SR pics, if he doesn't get referrals, smallest package is 500, already put down 125
his birthday is in may - of course he expects a gift

and he wants another 50 - 70 bucks for a freakin limo ride for JUNIOR prom. I expect him to be in one for SENIOR prom, but not junior. So he threw a little fit, came back with the I hate you I hate this place bullshit.

Uh, sorry, I have another child, I have bills, I have insulation that needs put in my house, i have freakin therapy bills every week, braces for my daughter next month, eye glasses for all 3 of us. he doesn't freakin appreciate what I'm already doign for him, he just has a freakin cow because of what i'm not doing for him.

I really don't like being a mom sometimes.

autbot

Asked by autbot at 9:12 PM on Mar. 7, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• Sounds like your 16 year old needs a job and a shot of reality. Life comes at you fast when it's your own money you're spending and not mom's. Good luck to you (c:
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:16 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Tell him to get a job

Answer by admckenzie at 9:18 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Well, honestly, if you are going to do it even with his attitude then you really shouldn't complain. Spoiled children rarely GET that they are spoiled, they just feel entitled. I am not trying to be a bitch and if I sound like I am I apologize, I am just being honest. He's not going to appreciate you because he expects it and knows you will do it. As a high school Junior he should have a job and he should be responsible for all of his extras. That was our house tules and I honestly believe that my sons are much better adults as a result to having responsibilities, bills and financial goals as teens. If it were my son...for anything related to his Senior year I would make him resonsible for it all (prom, anything party related, trip, etc.). He does need to learn to appreciate what he has and to be responsible sooner rather than later.
    Anonymous

• Wow! That sounds pretty frustrating! Well, I keep it simple. If my five year old screams at me, or is disrespectful to me, the something we were going to get, turns into nothing. No matter how hard she screams and cries. I noticed now a days she's catching on.

I would suggest the same. If he wants to be disrespectful, don't give in, and you don't OWE him the prom. Just food and shelter! LOL
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 9:16 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• well if it was me alot of the problem would be fixed if he was giving me attitude since he wouldn't be allowed to go to the dance. he is 16 and that is old enough to take on some responsibilities to earn extra money. i feel for you and i'm not looking forward to this with my kids lol. i do remember how i was at that age and how my mother handled it. she did the above mentioned things and it worked well. teach responsibility and respect. gl momma. nobody said it was gonna be easy.......

princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:17 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• I would ask him how he is affording to go to prom. How is he paying for tickets, tux, pix and the flowers. My son is a senior and 18 years old. There is no way in hell he would be talking to me like that just becuase he doesn't get his way. The boy needs to learn respect. Tough love momma.... good luck.
    bcauseimthemom

Answer by bcauseimthemom at 9:17 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• He is 16. Why can't he get a job to earn the money that he wants to spend? Many kids get jobs at that age. I understand if you don't want him to work while he is in school. I was allowed to work during the summers.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 9:18 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• There are reasons animals in the wild eat their young. This is one of them. Have you told him that The Bank of Mom is now closed and if he wants all that crap he's gotta fork the money over himself? If he cops an attitude about can't find a job, point him in the direction of soccer referee. There is work year round and soccer leagues ALWAYS need referees. The pay is pretty good at summer tournaments, which usually pay in cash.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 9:55 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• I guess I shouldn't mention this, but to clarify, I'm doing ALL that bullshit except the limo and he doesn't appreciate it!
    autbot

Comment by autbot (original poster) at 9:17 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• I know I know - but I would feel extremely bad if he missed out on the prom. But I look back to my HS memories and I don't remember half the stuff I'm sure meant 'EVERYTHING'. He needs a job, but I'm sure he would still expect me to pay for everything.

I told him to get his dad to pay for the limo - he didn't say anything, he knows he won't so he doesn't even ask.
    autbot

Comment by autbot (original poster) at 9:19 PM on Mar. 7, 2011