No way around it.

I posted awhile back about the fact that my cat was starting to act out of control since I had gotten pregnant- using the bathroom in the house and attacking my sons. I got some good advice on having him checked by a vet as well as doing things to reassure him of his place.
I took him to the vet- everything checked out okay. He has gotten better about using the bathroom everywhere, but worse with attacking people. He will even attack me now randomly, and it's gotten so that my boys don't like him much anymore. There have been several occasions that the boys will be on the couch watching TV and the cat will run onto the couch, scratch one, and run away.
I really hate the idea of giving up on him, but I can't risk him hurting the new baby, who will be here anytime, or causing real damage to any of my kids.
I am very leery of taking him to a shelter. If I have to re-home him, what's the best way of going about it to ensure he will get the best love and care possible?

mandaday

Asked by mandaday at 9:28 PM on Mar. 7, 2011 in Pets

• it is unlikely that they would take him at a regular shelter....you would have to find a shelter willing to take him with his behaviour problems. i'm not really sure you could find someone willing to take a cat like that truthfully, but you could call the shelters to ask around if they have any experience placing cats like that. gl ....hope you don't have to get him put to sleep
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:32 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• have him declawed thats what we had to do with ours and it help alot
    myboysRmyhero

Answer by myboysRmyhero at 9:34 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• I just wish they had kitty boot camp or something. Someway I could resolve this behavior and keep him.
    mandaday

Comment by mandaday (original poster) at 9:34 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• It only started when you got pregnant? It may end when you deliver. I'm not how much longer you have, but you could wait and see if it changes. In the meantime, keep a spray bottle filled with water handy and squirt him when he is misbehaving.

Good Luck.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 9:38 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• I agree. Wait and see if it changes. I had roomates with cats when I was pregnant and they were just fine. Then when the baby was born that damn cat pissed right in her crib. And it never stopped until we moved out. Cat's are finicky creatures. Very difficult to decipher what's really going on sometimes.

The animal shelter will take anyone's pet, they usually ask for a fee. Then they try to find fosters so that they don't get euthanized in the shelter. They will attempt to adopt the cat out to a home that is appropriate for him.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:01 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• If you are in Washington State Homeward Pet adoption center is a No-Kill shelter. Another option is the resources from Progressive Animal Welfare Society (PAWS). Another option is to try and list your cat on petfinder.com.

Good luck. We had to surrender cats once for the safety of the cat and the rest of the family.

Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 10:03 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• I don't think it is ethical to surrender a cat with known aggression, regardless of whether you believe it is situational or not. Even if you did tell the shelter/rescue group/whatever, do you really think they will make that information known to potential owners? What if kitty scratches or bites someone who gets a severe infection and dies? That is a distinct possibility.

Also, the cat could have something going on in its brain (tumor/seizure-type disorder/etc) and you've assumed it is because of the pregnancy. It could just be a coincidence.

You need to speak to a veterinary behaviorist because not all vets have current knowledge of kitty behavior issues. They may be able to help rule out the other possibly brain disorders.

If that is not possible (and it isn't for many) the safest thing would be to have the cat humanely euthanized rather than risk the health of you, your family or an unsuspecting adopter.
    JZ10FPM

Answer by JZ10FPM at 11:01 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• I am an animal lover also!!! But since you are having so much trouble with the cat I would highly advise calling some shelters that don't put them dowm but keep them until they find homes for them. Since the cat is acting out so badly, when the baby is born there is a chance that the cat could get in the crib with the baby and lay on the baby's mouth and nose and smother the baby to death. But there are shelters out there that keep the animals until they are adopted, if they think the cat is adoptable. Good Luck!!!
    Billie Mae
    jesussaves58

Answer by jesussaves58 at 11:26 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• I think first of all you should get the cat a home with no babies. I also think you really just want to get rid of this cat and want our approval to do it. Cats do that all the time. That is often how they play. They do it to each other too. They want the "victim" to chase them and wrestle around. The cat does not need murdered because it didn't work out in your family. It needs a home suited to it's personality. A single or couple only, maybe a college student, etc. I don't think being pregnant has anything to do with it. The cat has no clue you are pregnant. That is an old wives tail. It may also be an excuse to get rid of this cat. I will take him sight unseen if you want to ship him/her to me. I rescue cats and smaller dogs. I haven't taken on many so called "problem" animals and when they got unafraid of me, they where great companions placed in the right homes. I know this sounds mean but I have heard so many excuses.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:32 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• i meant i have taken on many problem pets
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:38 AM on Mar. 10, 2011