Can you begin potty training a 7 month old?

my husband and I bought a potty for our 7 month old last month and everyday we plop him on it and we make the "pss" noise and he usually pees. we've gotten him to pee in it several times. what age did you potty train your kid/s? can this be successful this early?

walkintherain

Asked by walkintherain at 9:53 PM on Mar. 7, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No, they lack the muscle tone control that is needed. You will only be potty training yourselves.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 9:55 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Starting it as early as you have is called Elimination Communication. There are many people who believe it works extremely well.
    Nonoluna

Answer by Nonoluna at 9:55 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• i say u should dont force but if u can teach them then go for it
    Dani3lla

Answer by Dani3lla at 9:56 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• my son is 10 months and I started having him sit on a potty chair at 8 months old. He now likes to sit on it and he will pee at least once a day. I think its possible to fully potty train him be 13-14 months.
    wood1980

Answer by wood1980 at 9:56 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Most literature says not to get too intense with the potty training 'til 2yrs of age or older. I'm thinking you're not going to have too much long term success at 7 months.
    natersmom76

Answer by natersmom76 at 9:56 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• well, you can train yourself to take your 7mo to the potty, that's what it amounts to. until they are able to know when they need to go and make it to the potty in time, it's the parent being trained, not the child. and there have been studies that show children who start potty training very early end up being fully independant potty users later than those who start when they are 2-3 yo. so no, it's not successful, and no he's not being trained at this point.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:57 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• With my ds, I started putting him on the potty chair when he was 6 months old. I did this whenever I had to go. I drank water when he did, too. He was day potty trained at 10 months old. Keeping him from wetting the bed until he was 8, is a whole different thing. We would get him up at 11 pm to go, he would go and still wet his bed.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 9:59 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• it is very possible. It is called elimination communitcation. Check it out online.
    mom2queenie2004

Answer by mom2queenie2004 at 10:02 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Im not gonna say yea it works or no it doesnt all im gonna say is WOW ive never heard of anyone doing this
    myboysRmyhero

Answer by myboysRmyhero at 10:03 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• With my ds, I started putting him on the potty chair when he was 6 months old. I did this whenever I had to go. I drank water when he did, too. He was day potty trained at 10 months old. Keeping him from wetting the bed until he was 8, is a whole different thing. We would get him up at 11 pm to go, he would go and still wet his bed

Classic example of what happens when you "train" too early. Be prepared for years of bedwetting. OR wait until his organs are actually ready, and then he more then likely will get it in just a few weeks, and won't have any lasting negative side effects.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 10:08 PM on Mar. 7, 2011