Just having $90 a month to go grocery shopping once, is it possible for a family of 3 ? If so how?

Michigan-Mom74

Asked by Michigan-Mom74 at 10:08 PM on Mar. 7, 2011 in Food & Drink

• I just don't think it is possible if you are feeding them 3 meals a day everyday.

If that was all I had to spend on groceries per month, I would go apply for food stamps and or WIC.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 10:11 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• do you have any stores like aldi near you? they are really cheap....no name brands, but everything is cheap and tastes good (imo)
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:11 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• yes if you eat vegetarian and focus your money on high quality/nutrition low cost staples, unless you find some very cheap meat. What's on hand?
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:11 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• only if you eat potatoes and noodles
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 10:11 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• We do it but i have no idea how i just make sur when i cook i portin very well so not to waste anything and try to buy on sale things in bulk
    myboysRmyhero

Answer by myboysRmyhero at 10:12 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• You should buy in balk...such as rice... Also, I know a local grocery store offers deals of 5 for $20 in their meat dept. Just clip coupons, look for deals...only buy whats on sale... Also, I have found that a lot of the generic foods dont always taste generic. If your family likes spaghetti, its very inexpensive to make and cam yield quite a lot.... just buy things that have lots of possibilities....such as ground beef....and chicken... also, sometimes there are places such as a food pantry that will be glad to offer their services!!
    katieandchris01

Answer by katieandchris01 at 10:12 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Find churches and food pantries like angel food ministries who have free to really cheap food boxes. Angel food ministries are a great ministry. You get a large box of good quality food that only costs $25 and it will last. I used to only have $50 ever 2 weeks to spend on groceries. I had to find programs to fill the gaps. Also when making a grocery list having a menu helps. Your menu needs alot of leftover nights for instance if you have say hamburgers one night then you have spaghetti the next night and use the leftover hamburgers in the sauce.  I always use a list and price everything on the list before I even go to the store.  Such as having a top dollar for each item and always round up.  Hope this helps.

luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 10:21 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Here is the angel food site

http://www.angelfoodministries.com/

luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 10:23 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• I think it would be possible. No snacks, 3 squares...... LOTS of eggs. I mean insane amounts of eggs. They're very filling and very cheap. I don't think u could even sneak milk in there..... we're talking like over $3 a gallon and would only last a short while. Ditto on cereal, no way. Your meals would be pretty lame, lacking in freshness but it's POSSIBLE.......... not in the long term but 1 month it could happen.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 10:24 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• If I had ninety dollars to last for the entire month...and three people. I would buy-

One bag all purpose flour 2
    One bag whole wheat flour 3
    1 Jar yeast 5
    Whole wheat pasta 5 boxes= 6
    Canned tomatoes 10 cans 7 dollars
    30 bags of frozen veggies- get a nice mix. 24
    The biggest Jar of Peanut butter you can find 4
    Dried beans-10 bags-7
    A large block 2lbs of cheddar-7
    two large blocks of cheddar-4
    bag of shredded parm 2
    Potatoes a five pound sack-2
    rice a big sack.3

buy the least expensive club pack of meat with what's left, and some milk.
    This is assuming you have oil on hand. con't

lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:26 PM on Mar. 7, 2011