Pumping while pregnant?

This is my second pregnancy and after my first I bf my dd for almost 6 weeks i had so many problems and tried everything and nothing worked i finally had to give up, i regret it alot. I want to know if anyone has ever starting pumping while pregnant I have heard it can put you at risk for premature labor but im not sure. I know that if i was still bfing her it would be ok to continue throughout the pregnancy but is it ok to start pumping once my milk comes in for my daughter and put the second one to breast once she comes.

lil_shannie

Asked by lil_shannie at 10:17 PM on Mar. 7, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I think I'd hold off on that. Pumpinh would stimulate uterine contractions and possibly put you in pre term labor.
    sydash11

Answer by sydash11 at 10:21 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• i never produced milk while i was pregnant so i guess it wouldn't be an option. i wouldn't do it, but that's just me. you could ask your ob the pros/cons.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:22 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Don't do it. It isn't recommended as it can cause you to go into labor.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:22 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• I would wait until you have the baby and let your milk come in naturally a few days later. Then once you get going you can share with your first child if there's enough to go around.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 10:25 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• no they always tell u to stop breastfeeding
    Dani3lla

Answer by Dani3lla at 10:28 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• No, at this point, it would be best not to pump. If you had been breastfeeding when you got pregnant, I'd say to just continue, but it's not a good idea to start pumping while pregnant. It will stimulate uterine contractions, which can put you into preterm labor, and it's not worth the risk to your new baby. Educate yourself now so that you can continue longer with baby #2. Get your hands on a copy of the 8th edition of "The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding." I wish I had read that while I was pregnant. I read it later, and I think it would have really helped in the early days, when we were struggling. It took us a good 6 weeks to get things going well, but it was absolutely worth it, and I'm glad I did it! You can do it this time around! Good luck!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:08 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• it's fine to nurse while preggers... i don't know anyone that has been told to stop, UNLESS their is a risk for you and preterm labor.
    i would talk to your ob...
    i pumped with my second and third babies and had a bit of stored milk when they were born... but this was with my OB's okay to do so, and if i felt ANY contractions at all i was to stop pumping, see if they went away, and then to not pump again until baby was born...
    asil

Answer by asil at 11:08 PM on Mar. 7, 2011