13 year old boy?!

Help - I have a 13 year old boy and he is ever so mouthy. doesn't want to do anything around the house and has attitude! What can I do to curb the attitude? PS all we do is yell at each other - NOT working. I take away the Xbox and computer but then all he dose is go to sleep. He doesn't have a cell phone and he rarely goes out with friends so grounding wont do. He is teaching his 9 year old brother to be mouthy now too.

laura67-boo

Asked by laura67-boo at 10:34 PM on Mar. 7, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• I have the same problem with my 13 year old. I just took his xbox away until he starts to learn how to respect me. He wants respect from me but he isnt giving it back. SO therefore, he wont get mine. He never use to be like this, so i dont know what to do about him either. that is why I came to cafe mom. this is my first time on this site and to see I am not the only only with these problems. I thought I was being a bad mom or something. Someone calls it "growing pains". I don't know, but i do know it hurts a great deal.
    destiny474

Answer by destiny474 at 10:52 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Sleep?? No, I don't think so, there are chores that can be done, there is a great outdoors, You are the parent, BE the parent.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 8:49 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Make him start being polite and doing chores instead of sleeping. If he refuses, progressively sell his things (x-box, computer, games, etc) to "pay for" you doing his chores while he sleeps. Also, you should stop yelling back at him. It is you losing your control and letting him bother you. Maybe you should even make him get counseling if he is just sleeping all the time and doesnt have friends....that isnt good. And if he doesnt like counseling it will motivate him to stop acting up.
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 1:15 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• how long do you take away his xbox and computer for? because i seriously doubt he could sleep away a whole month lol
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:36 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• honestly i would sell the xbox. tell him he needs to chill out with the disrespect or its gone plain and simple because you dont know what else to do. i know that seems drastic but somethings gotta hit him.
    shellychivell

Answer by shellychivell at 4:39 AM on Mar. 8, 2011