Does your mother or mother in law interfere with your parenting?

What do you do about it? Do you have your partner's support?

AlisonAstair

Asked by AlisonAstair at 10:38 PM on Mar. 7, 2011 in General Parenting

• My mother does not. She tries to respect our rules and knows that if we say no to something, that is it. His parents used to try to either ignore what we said or flat out do the opposite of what we said just because they felt they were doing nothing wrong in doing so. I used to say nothing and wait for my husband to handle it. After a couple of years, I could not bite my tounge any longer and I just started speaking up for myself. If I said no to something and they said yes, I would just get my children's attention and tell them that I said no or whatever and that is what the answer is. I did this in front of my in-laws and they were and still do get pissed but I don't care. I do not think it is ok for children to see their parents being ignored or blown off and then get their way. It's not on everything, I know grandparents aren't supposed to be like us, just on a few things that legit reasons to stand up for myself!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 11:46 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• my mother in law trys to but i ignore her
    Dani3lla

Answer by Dani3lla at 10:40 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Mine does not. She interferes in our finances, but not with our parenting. She always tells me how lucky my boys are to have such a great mom.

If she tried to interfere with my parenting, it would not be lovely. She would hear an earful and I would continue to do my own thing.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 10:42 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Honestly.. I went off on my mother today because of it. We have a sad chair in our house where my son can go if he is feeling upset or needs a time out or if we think he needs to think about his actions.. we put him in the sad chair for five minutes.. and I picked up my knitting while crying.. I had worked the whole pregnancy on a baby blanket I am making for my daughter, my son thought he would pick it up took out the needles and began playing with them, then there was no t.v. for the rest of the night. She went off about how we are punishing him too much and how we should just let him be. This is a woman who beat me as a child.. I mean several trips to the hospital and a few CPS visits and I got removed.. I think she has changed though cause she was upset cause we talked to him, gave him time to cool down, then a no t.v. punishment that was too much in her eyes. She just wanted me to swat him and be done with.
    Punkslilncs

Answer by Punkslilncs at 10:42 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• I went off on her how we do not hit our child and her opinion would be best kept to her self unless she wanted to live in a home. I feel bad about it but I get tired of the constant under minding. Husband stood by my side and told her that he was our child and we will parent him and her job as a grandmother is just to be a grandmother.
    Punkslilncs

Answer by Punkslilncs at 10:43 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• No she doesn't.

CookieMom108

Answer by CookieMom108 at 10:40 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• she used to. I had it out with her one day and now she just tries to be a fun friend to our kids. I blew my top with her, I could not take one more piece of ridiculous "advice". I said some things that probably hurt her, but needed to be said.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 10:43 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• yes. I can be at my MIL's house and logan can get in trouble. I will get onto him, put him in time out or punish him however I fell is nessicary for the situation and she will just in and say stuff like "u better behave or grandma will spank you" or "just cause mommy didn't spank you for that doesn't mean grandma won't" I'm sorry but I am his mother I can control him & I don't need your help. I mean its one thing if I'm not there but when I am don't undermind me in front of my son. That is why he won't listen to me when u are not around.
    becky0829

Answer by becky0829 at 10:44 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• My mother and I have not talked since Christmas because of this, and other reasons. My children are 7 1/2 and 4 and several times over the years I've had to tell her to butt the hell out. She was never there for ME as a kid (abandoned me as a baby) and now her time is over.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 10:52 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• My whole S/O's side of the family while butt in no matter if it's our kids or his kids. Espically when I'm doing/saying something to SK's or my youngest. I've told them many times, to butt out and that's a joint parenting, beucase when they are talking to our kids it's always your mother this or that, never your father. Also, my kids don't call me mother they call me mom so that's an other issue I have with them. S/O has told them to knock their shit off and has even kept kids from seeing his family but nothing works.

My mom use to butt in, but it was because she was helping a lot when it was just my oldest and me. Now that I'm with his dad again she's butt out. Plus, when she has our kids now she just spoiles them because they don't see each other much.
    red_head_mommy2

Answer by red_head_mommy2 at 12:24 AM on Mar. 8, 2011