Do you/will you talk to your kids about abortion? adult content

I'm not trying to start a debate here, folks. I'm just curious how many of you have or plan on discussing abortion with your kids.

Do you bring it up during conversations about sex education, contraceptives, and unwanted pregnancies?

Do you present the topic of abortion in a positive, negative, or neutral light?

Do you expect your children to share your views?

Mousuke

Asked by Mousuke at 10:43 PM on Mar. 7, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• i will them what it is and i would be simple about it. i'm sure that they will ask what it is sooner or later even if i didn't plan on adressing it lol. i don't agree with abortion or approve of it. i don't expect my children to share my views, i expect them to make up their own minds about things (not just about this, about everything).
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:54 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Same as princessbeth.

They need to be educated but also know that abortion is not a form of birth control.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:00 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Do you bring it up during conversations about sex education, contraceptives, and unwanted pregnancies?  Yes.

Do you present the topic of abortion in a positive, negative, or neutral light?  Neutral.  I have taught them about all their options.

Do you expect your children to share your views?  No.  I offer them guidance and advice, the final decision is theirs.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 11:09 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• i will when i think they are ready. i hope they will make up their mind on thier own, and i will try to tell it as neural as i can. but what i feel might slip in.
    happy-go-lucky

Answer by happy-go-lucky at 12:27 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• the only time i think i would talk about abortion is if my son got a girl pregnant and theres something seriously wrong with the baby. and if i had a daughter if she was ever raped i would talk to her about it. but i would never inforce. i prefer adoption because the lord let it happen for some reason.
    shellychivell

Answer by shellychivell at 6:20 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Not anytime soon since he is four. I hope to present it in a way where he can be aware of all the issues but that also comes with age and experience. I will let him know where his father and I stand but will respect his view as well. When it comes to politics I am for letting him be a kid as long as possable and letting it unfold naturally. I truly am okay with him having other ideas differnt than my views and hope our examples as parents will guide his thinking. But if he should grow up and be consevative and more religious than us - fine too. Or he can be liberal too like us. Or combinations of the two. Abortion is a complicated issue and at some point it will be discussed thoughtfully. Just not today.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:06 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• If it becomes necessary, meaning if my 16 year old son has a pregant girlfriend.  I would then talk about the options they have, one of which is abortion.  I'd also enforce the fact that abortion is not birth control.  Ultimately though, it's not up to me what my son and his future girlfriends do with their lives.

CookieMom108

Answer by CookieMom108 at 10:16 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Yes I will. When they ask (depending on their age) I will explain exactly what it is, and explain MY pro choice stance. They are allowed to feel how they are going to feel of course.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 11:59 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Yes, my daughters will be taught all aspects of Sex Ed. I am pretty much going to scare them out of sex lol that's my plan. And they will know my views on abortion. I will raise them with that view to be honest (pro-life). If they change their minds later on...then that's fine. But they will know that I will always be here for them and that if they get pregnant at a young age...they will not have my consent for an abortion. That may sound cruel, but hey, they will know that I will help them every step of the way. I am hoping I teach them well enough that I won't have to worry about a teen pregnancy! Crossing my fingers and I pray everyday for that!
    Rocker.Mom.07

Answer by Rocker.Mom.07 at 2:37 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• crazy! I expect my kids to more responsible and more accountable for their actions. There will be no need to discuss abortion because they will have a full understanding of 1. self-control and 2. birth control. If and only if, they are in the 1% cases of pregnancy because of rape, then it would be addressed.
    thundernlight

Answer by thundernlight at 3:42 PM on Mar. 8, 2011