Should I just put it up?

My son got a toddler bed this weekend b/c we got if for extremely cheap at an auction. My son is 2 but never tries to climb out of his crib. We tried letting him sleep in it since saturday and its a no go. Last night he stayed for 3o min. but ended up back in his crib for the night. Tonight he was NOT gonna even try it. I don't want to push the idea of toddler bed b/c we really don't have to. I don't want my son to think he HAS to sleep in it if he isn't comfortable with it. Should i just put the toddler bed in the shed for a while and bring it out later? Or just keep it set up in his room and keep moving his mattress from crib to toddler bed in the mornings to let him experiement with it during the day?

leann74016

Asked by leann74016 at 10:44 PM on Mar. 7, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Make a game out of it. That is what I did with my daughter. She was the same way until it was "cool" to be a big kid. Now when she falls asleep even in my bed with me, I roll over and find her missng and in her own bed...
    NevaehsMum125

Answer by NevaehsMum125 at 10:47 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• If he's 2 already I'd leave it in his room and give him time to get used to it. He should be ready to transition pretty soon.
    AntoinetteF

Answer by AntoinetteF at 10:47 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Logan is 2 and he has been in a toddler bed since he was 1. I would leave it up and let him get used to it. Logan didn't like his at first but he loves it now.
    becky0829

Answer by becky0829 at 11:03 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• with the money we got for my son baby shower we got a 4 in 1 crib. when he turned 2 we turned his crib into a toddler bed and we had the same trouble. I had to get him to sleep in my arms or on the couch downstairs and then when he was fully asleep. I would transfer him to his bed. it took some time and he did wake up quit a bit but he finally got used to his bed and realized that he was gonna be ok in it. now he loves his bed. good luck. and now he watches a movie in his room to settle down before it is time for bed. hope this helps at all
    brooklyndm

Answer by brooklyndm at 12:09 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• I would maybe keep letting him play on it and get him comfortable with the idea of having a new bed to sleep in. He will start using it sooner than you think! GL
    Alcavin08

Answer by Alcavin08 at 10:32 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• leave it in his room for him to get used to. once he sees that it is okay and all he will start sleeping in it. my problem was getting my son to stay in it haha. he would sleep in it without a problem but getting him to actually stay in it was a different story haha. he realized he had the freedom to get in and out of his bed whenever he wanted haha
    hismommy6509

Answer by hismommy6509 at 3:27 PM on Mar. 8, 2011