What would you do? Any advice is helpful

Me, my husband and 3 children live in a rent house. We have been looking at different houses lately to purchase. Well instead of a house now we got pre-qualified for a double wide! which is very exciting. Something new, and something we picked out. So they gave us an estimate on how much we qualify for. The only problem we have now is the down payment. I looked into grants but of course in 2008 they got rid of down payment grants. Anyways I know my dad has the money for us to borrow but I dont think I could ask him for it. Should I? I really want to be able to do this whole process on our own but I dont see it happening? I hate hand outs. Even though I know I would be paying him back. Does anyone else know of anything else we could do besides asking my dad? Any advice is welcome!! Thanks!!!

~ *~*~wasnt sure where to post this at. sorry~*~*~

jbond83

Asked by jbond83 at 10:46 PM on Mar. 7, 2011 in Home & Garden

• We all need some help once in a while. I had to ask my dad for $300 just so we could cover rent. It wasn't easy. I don't have the greatest relationship with my dad. But I asked because my family needed it. Maybe this is the same thing. Your family needs a house of their own. Maybe your dad would be more willing than you think. It's worth a shot anyway. Can they possibly work in the down payment into your house payments, or even add it on to the price of the house? Good luck, sweetie. :)
    TwilightMack

Answer by TwilightMack at 8:47 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• you could ask to borrow the money from your dad and have an agreement ready for everyone to sign that you'll pay the money back in x amount of time with x amount of interest. that way it would not be a hand out and your dad would see you have thought it through and you're being responsible. congrats, hope it works out for you.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:49 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• I agree with PrincessBeth- keep it businesslike. Sign the forms and have copies for all. And pay back regularly along with the interest.

Answer by Bmat at 10:52 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• You could borrow it and pay him back next year at tax time ??
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 10:54 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• I dont even count any more
    kalynskorner

Answer by kalynskorner at 12:11 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• I think you should make it a goal to save up the money and buy a house after you have saved the money. Make a budget and stick to it! Sell anything you can and save the money. Work extra doing side jobs. Make sure you have emergency money saved because alot of things pop up when you own a home. pay off any other debts so you have that money available monthly to live off of.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 12:24 PM on Mar. 8, 2011