Starting soup kitchen in a small town

tonight we had a meeting, a group of us from several different churches, are trying to organize a soup kitchen.... free meals for needy families every Saturday from noon to 2. This past sat was our first meal served, however, only 7 people showed up.

Im curious, and trying to brainstorm different ways to advertise for this cause. If your town offers meals for the needy, how do they advertise??

We are going to go visit another soup kitchen to get more ideas for our small town...

But maybe not even call it a soup kitchen?? We dont want anyone to feel ashamed for needing our services...

Any and ALL ideas are welcomed!! Thank you!

katieandchris01

Asked by katieandchris01 at 10:51 PM on Mar. 7, 2011 in Food & Drink

• I don't have any suggestions, but I wanted to wish you luck on your endeavor. Often times we forget that just because we may live in a small town and feel that we know everyone, that there are still people who need help. You're doing a wonderful thing!
    gumby11883

Answer by gumby11883 at 10:55 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• ohh my gosh thank you so much for your kind words!! I know these people are going through hard times, but we just want them to know they are welcome in good company to share in a warm meal. All of the community is welcome of course, but we just need to find a better way, other than word of mouth, to get it out there that we are making this available. Thank you!!
    katieandchris01

Comment by katieandchris01 (original poster) at 10:58 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• I agree, good luck! you're doing such a wonderful thing for needy people. I would put out flyers at local shelters, or anywhere really, I see them all the time here where I live. Also in the local newspaper, that's a good idea as well. I wish I had the tools and most importantly the money to start a ''soup kitchen'' in my city, I love helping people in need. & yes, I would google names for ''soup kitchens'' because that's typical - stand out and be different! =D god bless.
    knicole0708

Answer by knicole0708 at 11:12 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• thank you so much!! Im on the advertising commitee, and Im confident I can find something more appeasing than "Soup Kitchen" :)
    katieandchris01

Comment by katieandchris01 (original poster) at 11:14 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Very thoughtful of you
    DesignerKaylynn

Answer by DesignerKaylynn at 2:02 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• What about just giving it a name? I watched "Secret Millionaire" the other night and there was a "soup kitchen" on there, it was called "Love Kitchen". So maybe just give it a name? I'd think it would be hard in a small town though, it seems like everyone knows everyone so people wouldn't want to go because then they'd possibly be talked about by other people there (I know that's how it would go in my town, I'd be embarassed to go because I'd be talked about!). Hmm...maybe call it a community lunch? When things are for the community here, people show up in droves - even if it's a fundraiser with a free-will donation, people will come and sneak just a couple bucks in the bucket for a whole family so they can eat for almost free. I know I'd be more apt to go to somethign that's advertised as a community lunch, community meal, something like that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:33 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Try advertising at thrift stores. We have Salvation Army and Habitat for Humanity and people that maybe are in tough place financially go there to get stuff and would see the flyers. Post it on Craigslist. Advertise at the library as they may go there to use the internet.
    Go to the parks or where ever you maybe see people in need of a meal.
    Bless you for your heart for those in need.
    Librarylady60

Answer by Librarylady60 at 12:58 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• ooohh thank you for your answers!! yes, it is hard in a small town, I fear that people will worry about being seen there. But I want to make it a fun thing, my gosh, they are going through hard enough times, I want to make it bright and cherrie! Im thinking about suggesting games and such for the kids when they are there... I want the families to be encouraged to come. Thank you so much for your kind support!
    katieandchris01

Comment by katieandchris01 (original poster) at 9:30 PM on Mar. 8, 2011