what is emo because my 6th grader thinks shes one?

kim168

Asked by kim168 at 3:36 AM on Nov. 22, 2008 in Tweens (9-12)

• "Today emo is more commonly tied to fashion than to music,[18] and the term "emo" is sometimes stereotyped with tight jeans on males and females alike, long fringe (bangs) brushed to one side of the face or over one or both eyes, dyed black, straight hair, tight t-shirts (sometimes short sleeved) which often bear the names of emo bands (or other designer shirts), studded belts, belt buckles, canvas sneakers or skate shoes or other black shoes (often old and beaten up) and thick, black horn-rimmed glasses.[19][20][21] This fashion has at times been characterized as a fad.[22]
    Another example of hair characteristic of emo

In recent years the popular media has associated emo with a stereotype that includes being emotional, sensitive, shy, introverted, or angsty.[23][24][25] It is also associated with depression, self-injury, and suicide.[26][27]"

(continued)
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 7:54 AM on Nov. 22, 2008

• My brother calls his step-daughter an "EMO" apparenty it is short for an "emotional" you know the kind of kid who acts all bothered and sensitive?
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 3:40 AM on Nov. 22, 2008

• they tend to act depressed and most even "cut" they want everything centered around darkness simply because they are depressed and thats how they view the world
    Married2theBest

Answer by Married2theBest at 3:43 AM on Nov. 22, 2008

• Pretty much, it's a fad that got REALLY popular when I was in high school (I'm 20). There have always been goths, there have always been punks, but emo is a whole other subculture unto itself.

It's pretty much a fad, like the Wiki quote above said. Not many people are TRULY emo (I should know, I declared myself as one when I was a teenager...and I wasn't really one). Most teens just say they are to sound "cool". It's the "in" thing to do nowadays. Dressing like the Wiki quote says, listening to depressing hardcore bands and such. ...It's kind of annoying, but whatever. I have strong feelings on the issue.

(continued)
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 7:56 AM on Nov. 22, 2008

• Your daughter is most likely just going through a phase, like all of us do when we're teens. But if you notice that she gets more and more withdrawn, truly depressed, and starts wearing long sleeves more often, even at home (as that could mean that's she's cutting herself, by wearing long sleeves all the time you can't see the scars), then you might want to sit down and have a talk with her. Some "emo" kids take it far too seriously and it can spiral out of control at the drop of a hat. Peer pressure is HUGE among "emo" kids. They're generally not accepted in society, by people their age or by college-age kids (like me), and that doesn't really help their confidence issues one bit, since (in my opinion) they're really just looking for attention, just like jocks and preppy kids do.

But yeah. That's my little schpeel on the issue =]
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 8:00 AM on Nov. 22, 2008

• Wow, that's pretty deep for 6th grade. I hope it turns out to be harmless.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:22 AM on Nov. 22, 2008

• At sixth grade I would think it harmless. My son says he is emo or said he was for a few months. In theory these kids are over emotional and hurt themselves etc. Thats a true emo. The younger ones just dress like emos and dye their hair and are in it for the shock value, much like punks.

Answer by gemgem at 9:34 AM on Nov. 22, 2008

• emo, punk, goth,,,,,,doesn't matter how ya spin folks ; it's the same thing just a different decade
    Kasey1018

Answer by Kasey1018 at 9:36 AM on Nov. 22, 2008

• It's nothing to worry about. Just a style. No different than being "preppy" or "skater". It's mostly how you dress and what kind of music you listen to. She's just expressing her individuality. It doesn't mean she's going to cut herself and become suicidal.
    sbastille

Answer by sbastille at 9:43 AM on Nov. 22, 2008

• there are many kinds of "emo" kids... there are the ones who hate life and cut themselves, there are the kind that like punk music, the kind that wear "girl pants" and eyeliner and so on... yes it does stand for emotional and to be PC... girls are goth, boys are emo...
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 10:15 AM on Nov. 22, 2008