No boys in dance class ?

I have an 8 year old daughter and 6 year old son ... My daughter has been in dance classes since she was 4 ( just for fun) ... My son has begged since he was 3 to be in dance like her... Honestly at first i didnt think much of it , but as time goes by i can tell how much he really wants to be in dance....

i dont think anything is wrong with it, I don't think it will make him a "sissy" ( and even if it does thats ok too ) and after I explained to my macho husband that some guys take dance glasses to help practice for football and boxing ( lol) he was ok with it ..... There was nothing posted and nothing in the brochures about boys not being able to join the classes .... but of course when I went to sign him up for the new classes starting ( you can join every 6 months) .... he teacher told me that boy cant and SHOULDNT be in dance class....

We live in a small area and I honestly think it is just small minded- ness because is there really a problem with a little boy tap dancing next to a little girl ( how is that wrong)....

My son was upset so I checked with another dance class in a town about 30 mintues away ( the first one is the only one in our town) ... and they too acted like I was an idiot for wanting to let my son join..... but when i asked if there was a rule against allowing boys to join, they agreed to let him join.

whats the deal here ?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:26 PM on Mar. 7, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• i dont see a big deal with boys being in dance.. my 5 year old wants to be in an hip hop dance class.. cant sign himi up right now tho.. i think that is just stupid! my daughter's preschool teacher has a son in a dance class.
    3HappylKidds

Answer by 3HappylKidds at 11:30 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Were we live, they have separate classes for the boys.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 11:32 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Have these teachers never been to the ballet? Who do they think that is lifting the dancers? Do they think that is a girl dressed as a boy? Of course boys can take dance classes. I would threaten them with a very public very media heavy discrimination suit if they refuse to allow him to sign up.
    Maureen-MD

Answer by Maureen-MD at 11:34 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• I don't understand why the teachers would want to hold a child back like that. You said he's begging you for a few years, so it's something that he probably really wants to do and would be good at doing it. I applaud you for giving your son a chance to do something productive that he wants to do.
    shoot4thestars

Answer by shoot4thestars at 11:44 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Unm my first thought was Patrick Swayzie. Played football, worked on his Dads ranch and took his Moms dance classes. One of the sexiest men alive.
    daps

Answer by daps at 11:55 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• I really think it is because of where we live --- a very small minded, small country town.... everything thinks that all girls should be cheerleaders and all boys should be football players.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:57 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• when i was growing up i took dance classes, and sometimes there were boys in them. in collage we had boys(men) in our dance class. good for you to let him do that. not every parent would. and good for you for keeping at it until you got him in.
    happy-go-lucky

Answer by happy-go-lucky at 12:24 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• My son is four and loves dance! Ballet for now and then on to tap. His love for it makes me smile and he has also now enjoyed many theater preformances as well - watching not actually in them. It has helped open the door to art in a new way and I am thrilled. I don't know he will always want to continue but one thing I think will last is a respect for the theater and the work put into it. Instead of movies we go to live shows and later he tells his dance teacher. I am sorry your studio does not recognize art and dance is fir everyone - old, young, boys, girls....it is universal. And they miss out on more tuition from students.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:22 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• That is really strange. The dance place my daughter goes to added a two boys classes this year, I think one was hip hop and the other may have been ballet, I am not sure about ballet but the hip hop filled up so fast they added another session. Dance is huge right now for boys and girls I can't believe thee places would not embrace that. I hope your son becomes a great dancer. Good luck.

lilysmom2607

Answer by lilysmom2607 at 9:49 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• must be the small town, becasue it's (not too common) but not unusual for boys to do any of that here. And just becasue they start in dance, they could end up in another thing like sports. Kids like to move and dance. That's age approriate and normal. Different kids explore different ways of doing that. Why not open all 'doors' up and see where it takes them?

As far as the class in your town. i would find a lot of information on sports figures, dance firgures, and other men who did dance and traditional female forms of it. Myabe they don't realize what men have contributed to dance. Like Patrick Swayze (mmmm, love him). there are a lot of pro-athletes too that have some dance background!
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 9:53 AM on Mar. 8, 2011