South Florida Teen Commits Suicide in Front of Web Cam

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gtO167ywBhMURgOmp4ScpR7rBdvgD94JL0I80

Some were saying it was a hoax but the Broward County coroner has confirmed his death. So my question is, does this seem like a very dramatic real suicide attempt or a cry for help that went terribly wrong?

CluelessCarrie

Asked by CluelessCarrie at 5:07 AM on Nov. 22, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• Oh wow, you just hit a spot that is so close to how I feel right now, I mean I don't blog or enter weird chat rooms, but seriously I consider a lot of the girls on Cafemom as friends, I mean I talk about you in my real life, I worry and I wonder about you. I am so interested in everybody that I have chosen to connect with that if I felt like I needed help I wonder....I know that it is easy to hide behind a computer but I don't think everybody does this. I think we lack excitement in our own lives and enter others lives thru the computer by learning. I wonder if this guy was trying to make a connection or if he was trying to start something...ever watch the movie Pulse?
    SheriSanchez

Answer by SheriSanchez at 6:31 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• Apparently this isn't the first time someone has done this in front of a live webcast. It seems to me like these people are asking to be saved by announcing in real time that they are going to kill themselves. But, tragically these viewers find it hard to believe and don't do anything to stop them. It took hours for someone to finally report this boy's action's to the police. By then it was way too late.
    The web has created so many strange new situations for us as humans. What if this boy was counting on these people he conversed with to save him? In reality they are just strangers. He may have perceived them as friends that would immediately get help even if it might not have been real. That is the oddity of the virtual world.
    CluelessCarrie

Answer by CluelessCarrie at 5:15 AM on Nov. 22, 2008

• Both. IMO. And it sickens me to know that people actually viewed this.
    upintrees

Answer by upintrees at 5:15 AM on Nov. 22, 2008

• Cont'd.
    Does the internet replace the real world for making connections with others. We live in an isolated culture. For many people, internet friends provide more connection than those in the real world. But can it really compare?
    I realize this is several questions rolled into one. But, I can't think of one without wondering about the larger picture. What do you guys think?
    CluelessCarrie

Answer by CluelessCarrie at 5:20 AM on Nov. 22, 2008

• You think it was both a suicide attempt and a cry for help?
    CluelessCarrie

Answer by CluelessCarrie at 5:21 AM on Nov. 22, 2008

• And, yes, it's very disturbing that people just watched this for hours.
    CluelessCarrie

Answer by CluelessCarrie at 5:22 AM on Nov. 22, 2008

• I think you are on to some great points Carrie. I don't think it can compare to the interactions of 1 on 1 human contact, not at all. It is a good use of time I suppose, these social networking sites. But in the end I don't know if you can ever establish any solid relationship or feelign for someone, genuine feeling without moving any kind of internet relationship outside of the internet via the telephone, a letter, or a RL visit.
    upintrees

Answer by upintrees at 5:23 AM on Nov. 22, 2008

• Sadly, I agree.
    CluelessCarrie

Answer by CluelessCarrie at 5:25 AM on Nov. 22, 2008

• Oh, however, this was a bodybuilding site he was broadcasting on, not exactly a depression support site. So, I do believe there are different degrees of connection depending on where you are. Hot or Not would probably be a bad place to announce your suicidal desires....
    Does Hot or Not still exist? I'm old.
    CluelessCarrie

Answer by CluelessCarrie at 5:36 AM on Nov. 22, 2008

• Well hot exists as a term. And you cant call yourself old. After all, I do believe we are the exact same age and I am not quite ready to call myself that yet.
    upintrees

Answer by upintrees at 5:43 AM on Nov. 22, 2008