Professional breastfeeding portraits?

I saw that written in a journal post. What is it? Someone would actually go and have portraits done, of yourself breastfeeding your child? Is that what was meant?

If this is true, any reason why? I don't get it. I don't care who breastfeeds and who doesn't. But it seems all of the ones who are so (very) vocal about breastfeeding, the ones who say it's the best for the baby, best for the mom, the natural way to go, the *right* thing to do and condemn those who don't. Fine, whatever. But if it is so natural and normal, why have professional portraits done? What's the point? Feeding a baby is feeding a baby. These same ones who shout from the rooftops that bf-ing is not sexual and should not be thought of that way (agreed) are they the same ones who have these photos professionally done?

If there is no such thing as 'professional breastfeeding portraits' and that was just a term maybe one person used, okay so be it...let me know and move on. I will close the question. BUT if this exists, then really .... just .... why?

Let me make this simple.  Is there such a thing?  Does not matter what I think.  I put it in there anyway, but it really doesn't matter. 

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:43 PM on Mar. 7, 2011 in General Parenting

• I got professional pregnancy photos...pregnancy is also normal, is that not ok...Or how about professional newborn pictures? Or first bday pictures or wedding pictures? All are everday "Normal" events...

It's not your money, body or baby why do you care?

Also, photographers can catch angles and lighting that a novice would not be able too, and make a picture just stand out and be beautiful.
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 11:48 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Yes there is...

The point of taking the picture is because you are capturing a moment, a very special moment

Is that a better answer?

What is your point exactly?
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 11:55 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• You failed to see my point.  You also failed to answer the question.

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:51 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• I don't know if they are real but I don't know why anyone would want a picture of it. I breastfed all three of mine, I know that is it very natural but the last thing I want is any sort of reminder of it 20 years from now! And what child would want this photo?? I didn't really answer your question either but it would not surprise me if these exsisted!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 11:55 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Yes, there is such a thing. Why? Because it is a beautiful thing, and the parent wants a photo memory of it. Why take pictures of anything? Plenty of people have pics done and in some of them, baby is eating a bottle, it's the same concept. You're right, it's feeding a baby. Do you not take pictures of your baby being fed? It's NOT sexual, I don't know why one would think it was simply because a mother chose to have portraits done. I hope I helped you understand it a bit.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:16 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• I think the second you breastfeed in public uncovered and the second you publisize your breastfeeding through photography or other print you're exploiting it. Breastfeeding should be a private thing between yourself and your child. Not only because it's supposed to be a personal bonding moment, but as well because it deals with exposed breasts. When you're exposing yourself you're using your child and your body as a tool. Instead of again a private bonding moment between yourself and your child. I disagree highly with photographing breastfeeding and breastfeeding in public uncovered.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:59 PM on Mar. 7, 2011