Homeschool or go to school

why or why not

letstalk747

Asked by letstalk747 at 11:46 PM on Mar. 7, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I went to public school, as did my DH. We have started a discussion about the possibility of homeschooling our son. We are not strongly opinionated either way.
    ElenaC419

Answer by ElenaC419 at 11:54 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• It greatly depends on the situation, the resources, and the parents.

A child should never be home schooled without proper educational resources, social interaction through community leagues/clubs/etc, and as well a parent who can properly educate the child. If a child doesn't have outside social interaction then they should never be homeschooled. A child needs to be around other children to learn social skills, teamwork, and about themselves and their abilities. As well, a child needs a proper education (and yes that definition differs for everyone), whether it be customized or by someone else's standards.

I am not against home schooling or public/private schooling. I think every choice needs to be based on the individual and the resources at hand.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:56 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• I strongly feel a child should be in school and not homeschooled. They need to learn to do things on their own without mom or dad holding their hand every step of the way. Mom and dad can't be there forever.
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 12:09 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• go to school. it teaches them social skills.
    gwen20

Answer by gwen20 at 12:10 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• I'm on the fence. Home schooling would ensure that my son was adequately challenged, but I'm so not the one to home school. My husband were products of public school and there was a LOT to be desired for both of us. BUT public school provides a lot more opportunity to socialize, which my son really needs right now.

I knew a guy that was home schooled his whole life. He was a complete MESS socially. Had a heart of gold the size of Alaska, but was socially inept.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 12:21 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• go to school. i wouldn't be able to teach my kids everything they need to learn, also i would have a hard time with the extra work that comes with homeschooling. i am good with helping with homework/projects and reading with them, but to do everything for school for 3 differnt grades would be to much.
    happy-go-lucky

Answer by happy-go-lucky at 12:21 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• *That's supposed to be My husband and I were products.......(darn fingers are getting ahead of themselves while typing again)
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 12:22 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• My oldest is starting college in the fall. If I could go back in time, I would have definitely homeschooled. Our educational system is atrocious; more concerned with moving masses of pupils through it than truly teaching each one. It is a socialistic system in that manner. It ignores individual talents and strengths; rather expecting EVERYONE to fit a certain norm. There is no room for individuality. The concern is more with teaching our students to test well (makes the teachers/administrators/districts look better) than providing the tools necessary to go out and make it in the world. The focus is more on quantity vs. quality, and it takes away from valuable family time. It has been proven time and time again that homework serves absolutely no purpose until the high school years. This country's educational system is "broke" in so many ways and our society is suffering as a result.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:58 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Homeschool. We live in one of the best districts in the state and it is appalling how sorely lacking the public education system is. I have always supplemented with additional, pertinent work at home to make up for what my kids were not learning in school.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:05 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• My son was in public school until the end of the 6th grade. I was tired of all the bullsh*t. I bent over backwards trying to work with the schools and they were failing him horribly. I pulled him out and homeschooled him while I was going to college myself.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 9:16 AM on Mar. 8, 2011