How much $$ do you give as a gift if you're in the wedding?

My hubby is rediculous and thinks $20. I was thinking a minimum of $50 but more like $100. Whatcha think? The couple are not relatives. They're close friends. im a bridesmaid.

Mel_in_PHX

Asked by Mel_in_PHX at 12:07 AM on Mar. 8, 2011 in Money & Work

• The last wedding I went to (was not in it) we gave the couple $100
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:27 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• I'm with hubby. I get things like kitchen fire extinguisher and/or carbon monoxide detector. They are cheap and they will appreciate them if they are ever needed.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:12 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• There were a couple people that gave us $15 and a book about getting along in marriage. I don't think it's inappropriate....not everyone is a BANK lol It would be rude for a couple to criticise any gift given to them. It's that they are people that are special to you, there to celebrate something wonderful happening in your life.....not about the amount that is given.

The fact that your a bridesmaid doesn't change anything.

CABlonde

Answer by CABlonde at 12:13 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Give them a meaningful gift because you love them; the monetary value is secondary.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:08 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Can't you get them something off their registry?
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 11:31 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• NON relatives- $50

I give cash over gifts, for gifts are for a wedding SHOWER imo. The bride and groom want CASH on their wedding day. :)

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 11:57 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• I should add that I don't think anyone should give what they cannot afford. I had a guest give us $15.00. It was GREAT, for their attendance at our wedding, and their gift were just as appreciated as every other guest who attended and gave a gift. It all went towards our savings. :) :)

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 12:06 PM on Mar. 8, 2011