How do u make sense of this??

I live in a city that has the worst unemployment rate in the state of MI. I heard on the news that our city gov is getting a couple or so million dollars to build homes and finish building these homes that have remained vacant for the last couple yrs dur to the lack of money. All over the county there are foreclosed homes, vacant homes ect thst this money can go to to fix up these homes. The new homes our mayor wants to finish building is gonna cost a homebuyer up to $80,000 give or take. Now the catch is these homes ae in the middle of the worst area of the city. Where the gunshots are as common as the train whistle at Union Station. Last year there was a body found in the basement of one of these homes in the summer and the body was 2 days old. My dd's diaper smells better even after she eats mac and cheese! Now honestly, would u want to live in an area where u have to watch where your LO was at, or fear a stray bullet might enter the wall where your LO sleeps and getting shot?? I sure in the hell would not, even if the house was going for $5000. Do u think this money could go to something better? Like fixing up the other vacant homes that only has been empty for a yr or less?

Michigan-Mom74

Asked by Michigan-Mom74 at 12:22 AM on Mar. 8, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I don't understand how the unemployment rate and dead bodies in basements and where you would want to live tie in together? I'm not sure what your trying to say, or how putting money into fixing homes would affect unemployment rates.

YES. The money could be going to getting people jobs! lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:25 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• For $80,000 sounds like the drug dealers and pimps will get some 'killer' homes....
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 12:46 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• No, I wouldn't personally buy a house in or near detroit to live in. However, if I could purchase one for 5000 from the bank or city, I would, then turn around and sell it in a few years when the market bounces back. Because although I personally wouldn't live there, many people would, and it'd be a nice profit making business in a few years.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 12:54 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• No, I wouldn't personally buy a house in or near detroit to live in. However, if I could purchase one for 5000 from the bank or city, I would, then turn around and sell it in a few years when the market bounces back. Because although I personally wouldn't live there, many people would, and it'd be a nice profit making business in a few years

Problem with that.... Most cities who are doing this, require that if you purchase a home for (ie) $5000, it becomes your primary residence for (x) years or you face penalties....

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 1:01 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• I don't live in Detroit, I live about hour in a half north of Detroit.
    @Anon what I was saying is how does the mayor think fixing up and building these home and selling them @ $80,000 give or take, who does he think is gonna buy these homes? The UE rate is high, so how is anyone gonna buy them? The ones who could buy them wouldn't want to live there after just looking at the area! I doubt the buyer would even want to look at the home, she/he woud run so fast in the opposite direction so fast you would see smoke.
    Michigan-Mom74

Comment by Michigan-Mom74 (original poster) at 2:09 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• It sounds like the mayor of Detroit is trying to rebuild the area with new homes. The problem is without BUSINESS and INDUSTRY, those new homes will quickly become dilapidated. Why can't Democratic politicians get it through their thick skulls that you cannot put the cart before the horse!!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:34 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Sounds to me like grly has it right. The only people buying these homes(if they don't just set up shop in the newly built but vacant homes) is the drug dealers and criminals.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 8:30 AM on Mar. 8, 2011